38% of Eventprofs Affected by Mental Health Issues

(Nick Lawson) #1

Saw this article pop up on my news feed the other day:

Does this stat surprise you?
Do we think mental health is an under discussed topic in this industry?
Are people in this industry particularly susceptible to stress-related mental health issues due to the often demanding nature of the work?

Would love to hear from anyone who’s happy to discuss this :slight_smile:

(Belinda Booker) #2

I certainly agree that organising events is an especially stressful profession but I think this stat could probably be true of the population in general. When you scratch the surface, it is amazing how many people you know are suffering with mental health issues or have suffered in the past. I think we’re just starting to be more open about it now. Hopefully NHS funding for the treatment of mental health issues will start to catch up accordingly.

(Julie Whalley) #3

I agree with Belinda, although the event industry is certainly stressful than most day to day jobs, each is stressful in its own right.

It really depends on the person and their mental capacity.

When I reached my 40’s many of my friends disclosed that they’d either suffered,or were they’ve suffering with ‘depression’ and were on mediation.

For my liking too many Doctors are far too quick to dish out antidepressants, rather than point people in the direction of meditation and holistic therapies.

Women in particular suffer with hormonal imbalances and this is again too quickly diagnosed as depression.

Meditation has significant improved my wellbeing and mental capacity to cope with difficult situations.

(Jonathan Downie) #4

As a supplier from the interpreting industry, this seems all too familiar. We are trying to create tools to mitigate and deal with this. One thing that does seem to help is finding people that you are comfortable enough with to admit when you aren’t OK.

(Melissa Saunders) #5

Great that we’re talking about mental health - another step in improving the way we handle mental health issues with more openness. According to the World Health Authority one in four people will be affected by a mental health or neurological disorder during their life time. I’m surprised the figure for event professionals isn’t higher but I guess that refers to known cases and there are sadly probably a lot more people suffering undiagnosed and who aren’t getting help. Unfortunately we’re all so busy trying to get the job done with challenging budgets and timelines and our own health takes a back seat. Unless everyone commits to doing things differently I think this is just throwing money at the symptoms rather than the cause. :confused:

(Belinda Booker) #6

I agree; I know so many people who have been prescribed antidepressants. I don’t think the doctors know what else to do because there is very little funding for therapy. I am starting to wonder if conditions we now call bipolar, borderline personality disorder, depression, anxiety etc. aren’t just a normal part of the human condition and we need a totally different approach for dealing with them.

(Melissa Saunders) #7

Think you’re right and it feels like stress is responsible for almost everything. I know my own medical conditions - asthma/eczema/allergies are much worse in the run up to an event - partly due to long hours and lack of sleep as well as when the pressure is on. Trying to build in time away from the laptop such as a quick gym session or a short walk to help manage that but it’s tough when everything workwise is coming at you so fast! It’s not heart surgery but I still find it difficult to step away. Usually I think I’ll just write one more email or make one more call…then suddenly it’s mid afternoon and too late to go out.

(Belinda Booker) #8

I feel your pain. I sometimes feel like my laptop has become an extra body part - probably will be in the future!

(Melissa Saunders) #9

Probably not too distance future. Saw something about screens being projected on to your arm recently… there will be no escape. I’m off to Bluewater at COB whilst I can still get away!!

(Julianne Johnson) #10

That is a scarily high chance. Are there any previous EventTribe discussions that have talked about how event professionals can protect their mental health?

(Nick Lawson) #11

Not yet, but a great discussion to start!

What do you do to de-stress/look after your mental health?