Advice you would give to yourself when you first started

(Dewi) #1

What is the 1 piece of advice you would give to yourself when you first started in the event industry?

Mine would be, don’t the haters get you down. Learn from their negativity and use it to improve your event.

(Paul Heil) #2

I started in basic event sales. And I didn’t truly start being active in more creative roles until about 4yrs later… So my advice would be - Do More (experience/learn more)!

(simon) #3

“Don’t worry about what other people think about what you’re doing, or fixate on if you’re doing it wrong. No-one knows what they’re doing”.

(Melissa Saunders) #4

A former boss advised me not to take business decisions personally. On that occasion, my marketing budget had just been halved without warning (but the targets hadn’t) and as I’m so passionate about what I do I didn’t take the news well. Still beat my targets by c. 200% though!

Since then, through the ups and downs of event life, I’ve taken that advice on board. It doesn’t mean I care any less when set backs hit just that I take a moment to process it then do the best I can with whatever the new circumstances are that I find myself in.

(Abena P) #5

Mine would be similar to yours @DewiEirig. It’s not possible to make everyone who attends your events 100% happy, someone will always have something nitpicky to say. Take feedback on board but don’t let the unconstructive comments get you down.

(Dewi) #6

Thank you. My a-ha! moment was reading Hug Your Haters by Jay Baer http://amzn.to/2HxJdPZ

(Melissa Saunders) #7

interesting, will check that out!

(Sachin Bhalla) #8

Entrepreneurs, I once read live the life that nobody can in order to have the life that everyone wants (paraphrased from somewhere).

When I started working for myself, I stuck to “regular” work hours. Weekends? Evenings? Nope…that’s ME time. I soon realized I wasn’t getting anywhere because I needed to match other people’s schedules (within reason) instead of the other way around. That said, I wasn’t going to risk an ulcer before turning 30…but time management is a great skill to have, and in my opinion an easy one to learn (although difficult to master).

As mentioned a few times in this thread, there will be haters. Not just from within your scope, but people you know outside of your professional life who say “one more drink,” or “A meeting on a Friday evening?!? Why on Earth?” Hopefully you don’t lose those people. I didn’t. They unknowingly pushed me to try even harder.

(Melissa Saunders) #9

Thanks Sachin. The time thing is an interesting one. It’s so easy to work yourself into the ground an no one other than yourself is going to stop that happening. I work in marketing and there is always something else you can do to promote your event. However, no one can work 24/7 and be effective so it’s getting the right balance for you. I’m still working on that but getting better at it.

(Sachin Bhalla) #10

I agree with you in that working around the clock being ineffective…at times, it could be a detriment to success. I’m trying to convince my business partner of the same thing, and while he is getting better at it, the only way I’ve really taught myself to take breaks is to read. Off screen. Something completely unrelated to what you’re doing.

It keeps the mind going, but because you’re on a different track, it feels like rest. Naps also help…but I have a tough time getting up from those :smiley: