Calling all Venue members - how can bookers negotiate a better deal?

(Belinda Booker) #1

What are some top tips for negotiating a better deal with venues? What scope do venue sales teams have to offer discounts or freebies or better contractual terms to event planners? What requests could event planners reasonably make without being too cheeky?! Please share some inside info with us… :innocent:

(Karen Daniel) #2

I tend to work with venues I know and have built a relationship with, therefore when it comes to negotiating, your already on the right page. Be polite, honest and transparent about the budget and see what they are flexible on to get the better deal for your client. All venues have wriggle room one way or the other and if you dont ask you dont get. Always offer the potential of repeat business from the client and or yourself, preferred supplier status and building that relationship that is a win win for both of you. Remember they want your business more than you need their’s, that’s if you have sufficient time to play with.

(Belinda Booker) #3

Thanks for the advice Karen. would you still try to negotiate if you were working with a venue for the first time or do you need to “prove yourself” as a client first?

(Melissa Saunders) #4

@maitrinh1102 do you have any advice for us on this please?

(Belinda Booker) #5

How about @TheGowerHotel @JTEN @amycoco Any top tips you can share on this topic?

(Amy Corcoran) #6

Late to this one - I missed this notification! My suggestions below:

• Be flexible on dates if you can as there will be dates that suit different venues better and they’ll be able to therefore offer you a better deal.
  • Match your event to the venue - if the venue want your event they’ll be more likely to give you a better deal - for instance, we charge a very minimal fee on events which suit our music/rock&roll image.
  • Provide full info about your plans (promotion/what you’ve done before/website links etc) so that we can make an informed decision. I’m usually more reluctant to let space out blindly to people where I can’t tell what they’ve done before - as I want to know that the event will be a success - however, conversely - if someone tells me that they haven’t done anything before, I’m happy to support them in order to make it a success - information is key!

(Melissa Saunders) #7

I would also include the fact that you’re talking to other venues in your conversation. A little competition may sweeten the deal.

(Belinda Booker) #8

Thank you Amy. That’s really useful. I wouldn’t have thought that venues would have particular types of events that they’d favour.