Can venue outlet food ever be really great?

catering
visitorexperience
venues

(Melissa Saunders) #1

I visited the Olympic Park for the first time this weekend (for the World Para Athletics event) and paid £12 for a small, freshly made but not great pizza from one of the event traders. Food is really important to me and it’s a key part of many event experiences which I often refer to in visitor communications. It got me thinking about whether I could actually recall having anything really good from a venue outlet/trader at any event I’ve ever been to. I use the River Cottage Deli a lot at ExCeL London and they used to do really good cooked breakfast at Mallory Park motor racing circuit but nothing else springs to mind. So is it mostly the nature of the beast and should I modify my expectations or have you got some great recommendations to share with me?

(Belinda Booker) #2

Wow £12 for a pizza - that’s daylight robbery! I’ve had some great truck food at festivals, like The Big Chill… but thinking about vendors in venues, the only experience which stands out is the Benugo-run cafe at the Wellcome Collection in London. Lovely, fresh, seasonal dishes with great flavour, and not outrageously priced.

(Melissa Saunders) #3

Thanks Belinda. The pizza was lukewarm and a bit slimey so didn’t even finish it and I hate waste! I also do like a Benugo so that’s definitely a safe choice if there’s one to hand.