Career advice needed!

(Olivia Thurston-Hoskins) #1

I’m looking for some advice and was wondering whether you could help me, or point me to someone who could?

My name is Olive and I graduated from Falmouth University in 2017 with a First Class Degree in Creative Events Management. I come from and am based in London - Shepherds Bush to be specific, and am 23 years old.

I am currently unemployed (I child mind everyday to keep me afloat) and am looking for a job/experience in the event industry.

The challenge I am facing at the moment is the question of what short term step should I take in order to achieve my long term goal, if you understand…? I had hoped to pursue a career as an event manager for fashion catwalk shows, I thought an internship would help me get there. I have just finished my third internship and still do not feel qualified enough to make a step into the industry, or even be an event manager. One internship was with an event production company, another in PR at GAP and the last with a fashion PR company called ‘Spring’.

My question is what would you advise me to do in order to successfully kick start an events management career? I’m now hoping to gain more experience in the events industry and then once I’m qualified enough to move to fashion but I don’t have a clue about what kind of company to apply to, whether I need to do another internship or apply for paid jobs? I have so many questions!

At the same time I am very open minded and am interested in looking into other careers, I love being active and do not see myself working in an office 9-5, I like being in leadership roles, I am also interested in looking into the film and tv world, and love working in big groups with like minded people. Basically I am open to options but mainly I just want to gain valuable experiences that will help my long term career goals.

Maybe you could point me in the right direction? So sorry for the long message, I’m just so lost!

Olive

Introduce yourself to the EventTribe community!
(Belinda Booker) #2

Hi Olive, I’ve started this new thread for you to make it easier for people to find and respond to your question. I would say that with an events degree and and internship in an event production company under your belt, you are certainly ready to start applying for paid roles. You should get in contact with event agencies directly and send them your c.v. You should also consider working venue-side - an arts venue could certainly give you the opportunities you are looking for to work on fashion events. Perhaps go along to this creative industries career advice drop-in at Somerset House on Thursday? These are the types of people you want to be networking with. Let us know how you get on!

(Belinda Booker) #3

Some advice from @Greg_Lusk over on LinkedIn:

“My best advice would be to sign up to a few event staffing agencies in London. Here you’ll have access to a broad range of event jobs.
Whilst earning cash you can build your network. Find out what you really like doing. Fashion shows may seem glamorous, but are a lot of hard work. (Speaking from experience)
Once you’ve found your niche then use your network to find opportunities.”

(Olivia Thurston-Hoskins) #4

Hi Belinda,

Thank you so much for your reply and advice, it’s already made me feel so much more confident.

I will definitely attend the Drop In at Somerset House as I do feel that speaking to industry professionals will help.

Will let you know how it goes. Thanks so much!

Olive

(Belinda Booker) #5

That’s great to hear. Make sure you are also active in other industry groups like MPI UK and Ireland Chapter on LinkedIn and The Delegate Wranglers on Facebook. Aim to build your network and your profile. Good luck!