Carers - free tickets - how do you manage?

ticketsales
tickets

(Mark Dean) #1

As with most events there will be a proportion of people with special needs or disabilities that will require a carer to attend with them.

How do people control this though? Although the vast majority of applications for a free carer ticket will be genuine, there will always be an element that will possibly abuse the system.

How do you prove a child has autism or aspergers for example and therefore needs a free carer ticket? In the grand scheme of things the amount of carer tickets could be quite small but I’d just be interested in how people approach ticket sales for disabled and special needs people who request a carer ticket?

At what point do you stop?

Do people stop sales on a given date?

I know for one, as an event organiser I’m so busy in the few days leading up to my event I dont get much time to process individual orders for free carer passes for people that have left it right until the last few days to decide they want to attend.

Be interested to read some of your experiences and advice.

(Melissa Saunders) #2

Great question @Roostie Thanks for posting. I believe we’ve just taken people on trust for most of the events I’ve worked on which have been large exhibitions where numbers haven’t been limited. What do our @SEC members do?

(Belinda Booker) #3

Interesting subject. This is what IOW Festival states:

We require proof of disability in the form of a DLA/PIP award letter (not a Christmas bonus letter) in
order to confirm your Disabled Access booking and arrange a free carer ticket. Free carer tickets are
given at the discretion of the promoter and are not a given regardless of whether the booker
receives DLA/PIP.
Having a blue badge does not mean you are automatically eligible for parking behind the Main Stage
at Gate A6, it must be booked, along with the platform and camping through Ticketmaster.
Carers must be 18 years or over on 21 June 2018.

(Melissa Saunders) #4

Quite stringent then in their comms then. I wonder whether they’re that tight at the event and whether there’s room for a common sense approach on the day. Does it sell out? I know it’s open to abuse but I still wouldn’t want my FOH team to be in a situation where they had to turn people away because they hadn’t got the exact paperwork especially when not all disabilities are immediately obvious.

(Mark Dean) #5

It is a difficult one. We do see an increase in people asking for free carer tickets and also requests coming in right up until the very last minute. With that in mind, I think we may need to implement a time restriction and say that any carer ticket applications MUST be submitted before a cut off date.

We dont want to turn anyone away at all and we take great care in looking after disabled persons who do attend. We have also added a form now where applications must also send a scan of their benefit letter as well as a photo of the person named on the benfit letter.

(Melissa Saunders) #6

Glad to hear you’re taking such a caring approach. I unfortunately once witnessed an operations colleague saying she hated disabled visitors because they’re “so much hassle.” I was so shocked I was rooted to the spot. Generally, people I’ve worked with have been far more inclusive in their attitude.

(Belinda Booker) #7

Saw this on the morning news and thought about this thread:

Deaf mum sues Little Mix promoter in sign language row

It shows how important it is to abide by the law with regards to disabled access at events.

(Melissa Saunders) #8

I’d like to see the industry get to a place where it’s all about including people not box-ticking. Think I mentioned before the ops colleague who said “I hate disabled!” Truly shocking !

(Belinda Booker) #9

Wow… people who say things like that should be made to experience life in a wheelchair for a day and then see if they change their tune. I find it difficult enough getting about with a pram or a big suitcase, it must be incredibly challenging out there for anyone with a disability.

(Ricoh Gill) #10

We’ve been working with Ticketmaster for our Boundless Summer shows (shameless plug - https://www.boundlesssummer.co.uk/) who have a dedicated booking line for people who might need carer tickets. As I understand they ask a couple of questions that would root out the less-than-honest applications for carer tickets - not sure off-hand what the questions are, something along the lines of “Please describe why you need a carer ticket”.