Dictation tools - have you found any that work?

(Belinda Booker) #1

I’m looking for some tech to help save me time when typing up interviews that I have recorded. It would be amazing if I could simply playback the interview and have it automatically transcribed into text. Has anyone got any recommendations for relevant tools? My concern is that you spend so much time making corrections that it’s not worth it?

(Dewi) #2

Try voice typing within the tools menu in Google Docs

(Belinda Booker) #3

Wow, I didn’t even know that was there! But it’s greyed out for some reason on mine?

(Dewi) #4

Forgot to say that you need to use Google Chrome browser for it to work :flushed:

(Melissa Saunders) #5

Sounds good. Now I want to interview someone just to try it out!! Let us know how you get on @Belinda_Booker

(Belinda Booker) #6

Ah ha! Great, thanks so much for the tip. I am going to try it and will report back…

(Belinda Booker) #7

So I just tried voice typing to transcribe an interview I had playing through my computer on QucikTime. It typed up 2000 words - a fair bit of it is garbled so I’ll have to go back through and correct but it’s still going to save my fingers a bit. Great tip, thanks Dewi!

(Belinda Booker) #8

This is my favourite typo so far: “Morning erections in Turkey where do I get coffee.” :joy:

(Melissa Saunders) #9

Is that a typo or a cry for help?!!! :rofl:

(Belinda Booker) #10

Ha ha ha!

(Tom Williams) #11

I use Rev.com for transcriptions. It’s $1/minute and usually very accurate. Turnaround is less than a day. They also have an AI-based translation tool that 's significantly cheaper and instantaneous, but I’ve been less-than-thrilled with the accuracy. But Rev is great and super easy to use.

(Belinda Booker) #12

I used to use Fivrr but I often want immediate turnaround so it’s quicker to do it myself. I will check out their AI tool… see if I get fewer erections :rofl:

(Melissa Saunders) #13

good luck with that!