Did you plan to work in events or fall into it?

career
events

(Gordana Stevanovic) #22

I’m just starting out my event’s business, after I finish my event’s management course, so really starting from scratch, I’ve helped out one future client with her business launch as well as help staging an event for a footy club. But now I seem to be a little lost, I thought I could just jump into planning events for people or organisations, now finding it’s a little more involved than that, or is it? Meaning creating an avatar for my target market, who and how I can help people with events, etc.

If I’m heading to a subject that needs it’s own post, let me know, because I’d like to delve into it a little deeper?

(Paul Heil) #23

Fell into it by accident. Best mistake of my life! I feel like I was meant for this!

(Melissa Saunders) #24

Hi Gordana, do you mean your lost in terms of finding new business?

(Melissa Saunders) #25

Clearly the sector had your name on it! Glad you’re enjoying it. What are you working on at the moment?

(Gordana Stevanovic) #26

Hi Melissa thanks for your reply and question. What I meant as lost was regarding my goals and purpose for my Events Business, not being clear on my target market. In my mind it sounded simple, I love preparing and staging events and would like to help anyone that needs the help. I do know I’d love to work on corporate events, as I have done some work on small conferences and workshops. but other than that, is there anything I need to know or prepare, before I open for business?

(Gordana Stevanovic) #27

Oh my, I’m sorry about my rant, but I guess I put it out to the universe, because the answers came to me.

A strange thing to say I know, but my problem has been organising myself, I forgot the prep, I promised myself I’d do the right things, but I forgot anyway. I’ve had to go back to the beginning of starting a business, my 1st mistake, goes to show that organisation is so important, you miss a step or 2 and it mucks everything else up.

(Seun Johnson) #28

Hi there, my name is Seun Johnson, i’m Nigerian and i’m delighted to be a part of the platform. I’m really hoping i can find some helpful advise in getting my event organizing skills up an running. I really don’ know how to use the site just yet, but, i’ll sure catch up. Its a pleasure meeting everyone …

(Melissa Saunders) #29

We all learn everyday Gordana! Have you had much help from your tutors?

(Gordana Stevanovic) #30

Thanks for that Melissa, but no, the tutors not that helpful, they pretty much leave everything up to the students to research on their own. Also once I finished the course, they didn’t guide me through the next steps. But I think I’m on the right track now, been researching how to start a business and an events business.

(Melissa Saunders) #31

Glad to hear you’re moving forward. You might find some more helpful tips on the posts here: https://www.eventtribe.com/c/getting-started-as-an-event-planner

(Melissa Saunders) #32

Welcome Seun! Lovely to have you join us. Can I suggest you read this handy post by @Belinda_Booker which should help you find your way around the site, joining in the discussions and start posting your burning questions: Read Me! Guide for Community Newcomers
Do message me if you get stuck with anything though. Best wishes, Melissa

(Nick Lawson) #33

(Maricar Jagger) #34

I kinda fall into it, but I think the seeds have been planted a long time ago in my psyche!

(Melissa Saunders) #35

Is there an early event which left a great impression on you then Maricar?!

(Maricar Jagger) #36

My grandaparents and my parents gave a lot of parties! Seriously, it seems also that the various schools I’ve attended put on a lot of programmes and emphasis on being organised. As young as 6 we were asked to organise things like setting up a dinner party and organising everything from the food, table setting, to eating with the best table manners. Another school organised a lot of cooking sessions which seemed mad at the time, but that taught us skills in planning, as well as persuading our parents to do all sorts of things like setting up a kitchen on the playground!

(Melissa Saunders) #37

All great experience! A lot of effort and organisation goes into smaller, social events.

(Maricar Jagger) #38

It depends on who your teacher as well. I was lucky to have worked with people who explain their decisions along the way so that I can learn how and what to think as well when planning an event.

(Melissa Saunders) #39

That’s invaluable!