Does anyone have a GDPR compliance statement template I can use please?

data
compliance
website
gdpr

(Melissa Saunders) #1

I’ve been asked to produce a GDPR compliance statement to appear on a client’s website. Does anyone have a template or know where I can find one or do I need to get this from a legal services provider?

I’ve seen that some organisations are asking people to contact them if they want to see their statement but I think we should be more transparent and have this on the website.

Any help, most welcome! TIA, Melissa

(Belinda Booker) #2

I think it’s officially called a ‘privacy notice’. However, it is NOT your data protection policy; it’s a public statement of how your organisation applies data protection principles to processing data and under GDPR it must be displayed to people wherever you capture data.

The privacy notice should address the following:

Who is collecting the data?
What data is being collected?
What is the legal basis for processing the data?
Will the data be shared with any third parties?
How will the information be used?
How long will the data be stored for?
What rights does the data subject have?
How can the data subject raise a complaint?

A customisable privacy notice template is available in this EU GDPR Documentation Toolkit (along with other documents) but at quite a high price!

If you want to have a go at writing your own, here are some examples of good and bad privacy notices from the ICO. And here’s another toolkit to help you build your own privacy notice (I think it’s free).

(Belinda Booker) #3

For EventTribers looking for further GDPR Guidance, they might like to watch a recording of this webinar “The impact of GDPR on marketing and events professionals” that we put together with the help of @LouiseTriance

(Richard Millington) #4

This is really awesome, if any of our @Top_Members have anything to add/share here, it would be really useful. This post is getting a curiously high amount of traffic at the moment.

(Nick Lawson) #5

Came across this checklist if it’s helpful:

(does seem a bit wordy - but thats GDPR i guess!)

(Richard Heathcote) #6

We decided to write our Brummies Networking one in layman’s terms (whilst covering all the appropriate sections etc), rather than looking overly formal with lots of legalese.

But a colleague of mine also let me know about this site which he used, and I think much of it is free.

https://termsfeed.com (grey section at bottom of page)

(Melissa Saunders) #7

Fantastic - thanks for this!

(Melissa Saunders) #8

Amazing! Thanks!