EMAIL WEEK: Ask Dotmailer's Tink Taylor anything

email
emailmarketing
marketing
eventpromotions
promotion

(Tink Taylor) #23

A very relevant question with GDPR coming into effect any day now. I guess my legal team would like me to state I’m not an attorney!

Best practise has always stated that you need the correct permission states in place. Let people why you are collecting their data and for what purposes, what they should expect ad stick to this, do not pre-check boxes! People have often worried about the language used in such statements but if you are clear on those details feel free to use your normal brand tone of voice.

Other key things you should be looking at how you can delete contacts to cater for the right to be forgotten, how you can export contacts to facilitate ‘subject access requests’. What you store about the contact . GDPR Article 7 states that our customers should be able to demonstrate that contacts have consented to the processing of their data (‘consent’, is any "freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous indication of [a contact’s] wishes. Here at dotmailer we are enabling our customer to store the permission state used at the time consent was giving. Finally make sure that the data is passed to you is done so in a secure encrypted way using HTTPs.

We have a lot of information on this subject freely available here:

https://www.dotmailer.com/about-us/trust/gdpr-resources/

https://blog.dotmailer.com/tag/gdpr/

(Tink Taylor) #24

The most important part of the email is the call to action and putting this in the header (if we are talking mobile) or preview pane when looking at desktop.

Frequency is very much dependant on the list, the invite and the engagement of your segments as covered in earlier questions. Again I encourage people to test increasing the frequency, this is something that often we are fearful of doing. In my experience when you do this you see opens, clicks and bookings all go up in aggregate. The more you send the more chances you have of making a booking. However you have one stat you can track which will test if you have over cooked this. Keep a firm eye on your unsubscribe rates, if you see this increase then throttle back a little, you will have tested this important metric.

There are many ways to target your ideal groups. One of the easiest is a feature we call ‘re-send’. This simply allows you to send the same message again to all those who didn’t open the initial email who haven’t opened it with a different subject line. A virtually no effort but effective method of getting your message out there to you busy recipients.

The other very obvious way is to implement automation into your campaigns. Any automation tool will allow you to set rules on sending more follow ups based on segments, and engagements, you will be able to follow up those who have not opened, those who have but not clicked, those who clicked but not booked etc. Armed with this knowledge you can tweak your content to drive results.

(Tink Taylor) #25

Thanks @Steve_Jones … The best way is to do it automatically!! When we first built our marketing automation functionality into our platform the first use cases we looked at were selling events, adbonded basket and abandon browse… You can use all of these to great effect.

I would aim to oversell your event and let the automation do the rest. It would be easy to set up campaigns as I mention above on how folks have engaged with your invites. You will know if they have opened or not, clicked, put tickets in the basket and so on. You will be able to use this to change your messaging about the event. The automation will also know how much space you have available and what allocation you have left. You can then drive urgency with availability. Those that try to sign up once the event is full can automatically be put into another automation campaign that thanks them for their interest and will let them know when your next event is due, therefore you have a list of highlight engaged users ready to go!

(Belinda Booker) #27

Great advice. Thanks, Tink. :relaxed:

(Sachin Bhalla) #28

Thanks! I’ve downloaded the Cheat Sheet and will be studying it furiously.

(Richard Heathcote) #29

Many thanks Tink - really useful!
Much appreciated…

(Melissa Saunders) #30

Many thanks Tink. A lot to think about… and to test of course!

(Richard Millington) #31

I’ve noticed a lot of people use pop-ups on the website to collect email addresses, yet I’ve also heard this can affect the SEO traffic that arrives at the site.

Have you had any thoughts / experiences with this @Tink?

(Théophile Berlioz) #32

Thank you very much, that is super useful!

(Tink Taylor) #33

Hi Richard

Yes there are implications with regards to using pop ups especially on mobile devices.

We put together a little blog regarding this to shed further light on what you can and can’t do:

(Melissa Saunders) #34

Thanks Tink!