Event Industry Natural Selection Under Way?

events

(Paul Heil) #1

Event Professionals what do conferences & events need to survive the next 5 - 10 years in the industry?

(Melissa Saunders) #2

for me everything comes back to the target audience - who they are, what they want, how they like to be communicated with, what excites them, where they are… so you have to tune into that. Also you have to keep giving people reasons to exhibit/attend…not the same as last but better,different, bigger, etc. There’s no substitute for live events and being in the room but there are ever more demands on people’s time/income so you have to keep moving forward.

(Paul Heil) #3

What are your thoughts on the tools necessary to make that a reality? And what are the major differences between the actual audience today VS audiences in the past which influence the real success factor?

(Belinda Booker) #4

I think they just need to offer really good content - provide quality education, discuss the industry critical topics, have great speakers and facilitate networking. The bells and whistles are nice to have but super relevant core content is the important stuff.

(Paul Heil) #5

The question here is… Is content really king in an era where content is so easily accessible already? I like to think a good mixture of story telling + content is king. You can have pretty much 2 scenarios. 1 - a fantastic presenter/communicator with poor or almost no value adding content. 2 - fantastic presentation content with poor - horrible communication/presenting skills (basically reading off slides). But the perfect combination of both (hard to exactly define), that is the magic sauce not so easily or rather so consistently found at events…

(Belinda Booker) #6

I agree with what you’re saying. It’s not just about keynotes though - I think the chance to ask questions and hear issues discussed by a decent panel offers real value and is not something easily available online.

(Paul Heil) #7

Considering I worked to help Sli.do get off the ground for over year in a half, I can only advocate advanced audience engagement ;). Especially for hybrid/live streamed events. :slight_smile:

(Belinda Booker) #8

Ah ha, Sli.do is a great tool! What are you working on now?

(Paul Heil) #9

I consult with different event organisers helping them implement necessary event strategies & innovations to stay ahead.

(Belinda Booker) #10

Always like to hear about innovations - keep us posted!

(Melissa Saunders) #11

Hi @Pheil, are you working on any innovations at the moment that you can tell us about?