Event Planners' New Year's Resolutions

My New Year’s event resolution is to work with the local university to create a four week internship for their marketing and events postgrads.

We’ve been in talks with them for a while now, and I’d really like to get the wheels rolling on a short-term mentoring programme which will help me keep my sanity during the busy events period and also provide some hands-on experience for graduates looking to get into the industry.

1 Like

Biggest resolution is to… Hmmmmmm… Be better at strategy (not my strongest point). I’m looking to open into new markets around the world so kind of need to be good at that strategy stuff… Oh, and print awesome new t-shirts.

1 Like

My new year’s resolution is to start the ball rolling in trying to get us some decent PR for our group. Papers, magazines, online - wherever do-able for the cheapest possible price, or even free!
We’ll be working on some ‘good news’ type stories to try and get editorial, as we’re wanting to become the most prominent event in the Midlands. It’s already on that track which is great news, but could always be improved!

That, plus finding ways to give added value to our members - again, there’ll be things we can do that won’t really cost that would add big value to our members, so we’re going to be strategising in the new year.

Plus of course, adapting our way of working/booking so we can minimise as best as possible the chance of no-shows!

Brilliant. Do share your learnings with us please!

No shows are so disappointing…you’ve thrown your best at them and given them every reason to come along… how are you going to tweak the booking to limit that?

Great to know your strengths and weaknesses I think. A former boss once said that I was “brilliant at making things happen but the paper won’t file itself…” I still suck at admin but I’m working on it and there is a lot less paper to file these days which helps enormously.

How are you going to go about raising your game on strategy?

Brilliant Claire. There’s no substitute for experience especially in events. Which university is it and is this something you could roll out with other universities?

Blimming heck! I think you’ll be fit after walking the floor at all those shows :joy:

1 Like

Ah, what a great question!

My resolution is to buckle down and create a ton of super-useful downloadable guides and templates that can help event professionals’ creative work get more quick, confident, and cutting edge. (It’s so hard to prioritize building content like that when I’d rather be doing client work! :joy:)

1 Like

Sounds great, what will you start with?

1 Like

It’s Bristol UWE that we’re chatting to at the moment. I think it’s something we’ll stick to implementing with one uni for now :slight_smile: I’ll let you know how it all goes

1 Like

2 – As a mum of 2 coming back into the industry after a career break
0 – to regain my confidence from 0 to more
1 – believing that 1 day it will feel as though I had not been away
8 – so I will start by embracing all of the tips and advice on this forum, reading at least 8 new
blogs a day.

2 Likes

Ideally, it will start with research! :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve got a ton of ideas but it’s hard to tell which ones would be most beneficial!

The big fish that my partner and I are working on right now is a glossary of print production terms that event professionals find that their vendors use: simplified, contextualized, and illustrated.

That, and we want to do some funny valentines meant for event profs to customize and share with each other. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Best of luck!

That’s rather a lot! Sure you’ll feel like you’ve never been away very quickly. I’m also planning to read more blogs starting with one a day. Are you going back into the same kind of work you did before?

Ooh…hope you love EventTribe enough to share the Valentines on here?!

1 Like

Of course! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you! I only have secured a bit of temporary work so I will have the time to read :slight_smile:
I am going to see where the New Year takes me and find my feet!

1 Like

I’ve been talking about organising a comping/sweepstaking convention in Brighton for a couple of years. And 2018 is the year I’m going to do it!

1 Like

Only one day left to take part - get your New Year event resolutions in now!!!

1 Like