Freelancers, what payment terms do you work with?

financial
payments
invoices
clients
freelance

(Melissa Saunders) #1

Generally I request payment within 28 days of submitting an invoice. For some new clients I’ve asked for 50% upfront and 50% after completion of the project. For other clients, where I suspect payment will not be very prompt, I’ve invoiced at the start of the month I’m billing them for with the hope they’ll pay somewhere around the end…it’s been up to seven weeks later though :disappointed:. One of my freelancing friends requests payment within seven days and another doesn’t put any terms on her invoices. What does everyone else do?

(Belinda Booker) #2

I ask what their payment terms are. If it’s 30 days I might request if I can submit my invoice at the start of the month so it’s paid at the end. Generally I find it doesn’t matter what you put on your invoice in terms of when it’s due. I have one client who takes 90 days to pay!! I run with it because it’s only relatively small amounts of money, but for the big chunks I want to know from the client how long they take to pay, and then hold them to it.

(Melissa Saunders) #3

90 days ouch! Don’t think my landlord would wait that long for my rent!!

(Allison Pinney Collis) #4

It depends on the client. I would ideally prefer seven days, but some clients push to 30 days. A recent client pushed 90days! However, i’ve also had clients pay on receipt of the invoice without prompt!

(Melissa Saunders) #5

90 days eek!!