Gantt chart for event planning

(Shaena Harrison) #1

Hey y’all!

So I have been tasked with leading the production for TEDx this year in my city. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with using Gantt charts for event planning and wouldn’t mind sharing some tips/tricks?

I’ve never used one before so I am completely green.

Would love some free software as well :slight_smile:

Thanks

Shaena

(Dewi) #2

Lancaster University have some good Gantt chart examples and templates http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/current-staff/current-staff/events-toolkit/

(Melissa Saunders) #3

Wow Shaena, that’s quite a responsibility. I’ve not used Gantt chart myself but I see help is already at hand. Thanks @DewiEirig !

(Belinda Booker) #4

You might find this software useful, Shaena:

(Melissa Tranter) #5

They really are very useful, I use one in my role as I would definitely forget something without it! I’m not sure of software, I just use Excel haha!

If you find a useful one, I’d love to hear about it!

(Shaena Harrison) #6

thanks Belinda! I’ve signed up for a demo. :slight_smile:

(Shaena Harrison) #7

Thanks Mel! Do you think they take a bit of time to get the hang of? From afar they look quite daunting.

(Melissa Tranter) #8

I know what you mean, I thought the same when I took control of the one I work with. I think they are quite simple once you start working with them and you can adapt them to how you work as well. There’s a good chance mine isn’t a ‘proper’ one but it definitely takes in the principals of the Gantt system.

Good luck!

(Aman Brar) #9

Gantt charts are a good way to plan a series of sequential events (including things that depend on each other), and figure out how long it’ll take you to complete a larger task by splitting it down and finding out the kinds of things you can do in parallel.

I’ve used Gantter before (which used to be free!) but is now $5 per month, per user, which isn’t that bad overall compared to something like Microsoft Project (usually overkill for any project!).

The basics of gantt charts:

1. Break down your project into major “chunks”. For example, you could do:
  • Speaker related activities
  • Venue activities
  • Marketing activities
  1. Break each of these down again: (for example)
  • Speaker related activities
    – Outreach to find gender balanced speaker list
    – Confirm they are available on the date and time
    – Arrange to vet slides / content
  • Venue activities
    – Create long list of venues
    – Agree budget available
    – Book venue
  • Marketing activities
    – Build microsite
    – Create mailing list on mailchimp
    – Agree budget for paid advertising
    – Create adverts for paid advertising
  1. Now, find out which activities are dependent on each other (dependencies). For example, without agreeing the budget, you might not be able to start talking to venues. So booking the venue is dependent on agreeing a budget.

2. Continue through all of your sub-activities and set the dependencies for each one.

3. Estimate the time taken for each of your tasks

4. If you want to go down to this level, assign individual people to each task. You’ll be able to see if they are overloaded at certain points in the project.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.

(Melissa Saunders) #10

Thanks Aman. That’s very comprehensive.