Get a government funded apprentice for your events business

(Richard Goodwin) #1

There is a new option for getting into events management - the Events Assistant Apprenticeship. Essentially this is a mostly government funded way to recruit or to train existing staff.

it is designed by the industry for the industry with an eye on the future-proofing events management skills. If you are a really large company in the UK then you will have some Apprenticeship Levy funds which you must spend or lose - why not use them for Events training?

To find out more call Loveleen at The JGA Group on 020 8426 2666

How did you get your first job in the events industry?
(Belinda Booker) #2

This is really interesting - thanks for bringing it to our attention, Richard. Can you provide any more details? How would people wishing to get into the industry locate companies in receipt of this funding and looking to recruit?

(Richard Goodwin) #3

Hi Belinda,
I don’t know how I missed your msg - sorry. There are three options for potential apprentices Belinda:

1. Check out the job adverts on Apprenticeship part of the gov.uk website .
  2. Get in touch with a training provider which will see vacancies as they arise (for us Parag on 020 8426 2666 is responsible for engaging candidates).
  3. If you are applying for a job then simply ask the employer whether it is available as an Apprenticeship. Apprenticeships are so new to the sector that they are not widely known.

I’ve just realised that I’ve also answered a question you didn’t ask! But rather than waste the effort the section below contains more detail for both employers and potential Apprentices themselves.

The Events sector has put together a two page standard defining the skills, knowledge and behaviours which constitute a competent Event Assistant
The Apprenticeship is Level 3 (A level equivalent).

The Apprenticeship can be used to recruit junior members of staff (often to improve diversity or as a tool for CSR) or it can be used to upskill existing staff.

There is no restriction as to who can undertake the Apprenticeship so long as they do not already have a higher qualification in events management. The programme combines on the job and off the job training and typically takes up to 18 months.

If the employer has a payroll greater than £3m then the HMRC automatically puts money aside into an account which can be used to fund apprenticeships (and if the money is not spent then it is lost). If the payroll is lower than this then the government subsidises 90% of the programme.

Various authorised training providers (my firm, The JGA Group is one) offer Event Assistant Apprenticeships. There are also many other Apprenticeships suitable for event-related organisations eg Property Maintenance Operative (for venue owners), Digital Marketer and Business Administrator.
I hope that this helps.
I’ve also put a note on the EventTribe Jobs section looking for someone to help us make Apprenticeships better used in the sector, if anyone reading this has ideas/resource/enthusiasm or is looking for an interesting PT/FT role then do get in touch.

(Belinda Booker) #4

Thanks Richard, this looks like great news for the industry. Will be interested to hear feedback from event management businesses.

(Samantha Brown) #5

This is how I started my career in events! I came into my current role as an Events Assistant Apprentice and am still here 4 and a half years later having moved up to Events & Marketing Coordinator! I started when I was 17, it’s a great way to attract young talent to the industry and train them to work the way you want them to work. :slight_smile:

(Belinda Booker) #6

That’s so great to hear @Sammy. I’m thinking about encouraging my step daughter to look for an apprentice opportunity but she is just about to finish a 2-year event management college course - as this is higher education, does it disqualify her?

(Samantha Brown) #7

You can start at any age and level. It depends on the apprenticeship role itself I believe. The levels of apprenticeship can go from level 2 up to level 7 (maybe higher). level 2 is aimed at GCSE level, level 3 matches sixth form education and so on. I would highly recommend an apprenticeship though!

(Belinda Booker) #8

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at what’s available for her.