Getting feedback from event attendees

(Nick Lawson) #1

I think feedback is so important in helping you find out what you need to be doing better and to improve an event for the next time around, but sometimes it’s so hard to get. Would love to know if people have good ways of doing this?

If it’s a class/workshop/conference you can have feedback forms on tables etc and urge people to fill them out, but if it’s a more “fluid” event, such as something like a festival how do you do it? I feel that emailing afterwards just doesn’t get enough responses.

(Marino Fresch) #2

Adding to this I’d be interested to know how people mainly measure feedback? I’m a big fan of Net Promoter Score (NPS) as a simple way to understand how happy people are - basically likelihood to recommend the event to others on a score of 1-10. I feel like that question, plus a freeform text “any other feedback” box keeps it quick and easy to give feedback, while also being as useful as possible.

(Monika Koch) #3

I personally hate feedback forms on events and feel forced to complete them in too little time whenever they are handed out. Therefore, I never use them on my own events.
We are proud for our personal approach on all our events and I send people a Thank You email via our MailChimp newsletter list - gets them used to the newsletter layout too :wink:
I ask for feedback and permission to publish it on our website or facebook etc. So far it worked very well. From quotes to photos, Slate presentations and even a film, I have got the most amazing replies in the past two years. On smaller events, I also ask (only nice) people to feedback on facebook to increase our ratings there as well.
When I still worked for the RSPB I had hand out forms and preferred to explain why and what for I needed their feedback - and I handed it out around half-time through the events in lunchtime periods or similar so that people could have enough time to scribble down their thoughts.

(Nick Lawson) #4

Interesting. I agree I don’t think feedback forms are necessarily a great “user experience” and don’t get the most out of people. Do you mind me asking what kind of feedback response rates do you get from your thank you emails?

Great to get such a rich variety of feedback, do people just respond to your thank you email with this?

(Monika Koch) #5

I don’t do statistics so far, and would say it varies between 10 - 50%. Take into account that our events are small, often exclusive and as written before, we have a very personal approach to our customers from the first contact on. That includes talking with people on the events and I get the first feedback about my guides etc often over a cup of tea or bowl of soup during the event. I can recommend to every event organiser to run the tea-kitchen themselves. It’s a very important hub!
For our kind of feedback check this: www.wasuffolk.com/2015.html

(Natasha Giller) #6

We mainly use SurveyMonkey to create surveys and send out an email to those registered that didn’t attend trying to find out why and those that did attend, asking questions about each session and space for their own feedback. In turn for their feedback, there is a link at the end of the survey which takes them to all of the presentation slides, info sheets and other useful downloads. Seems to work quite well but there are still a lot of people that don’t do it.

(Nick Lawson) #7

@MichD great to have you here and glad to hear you’re getting good feedback. As this topic exists, I thought i’d take the chance to ask, how do you collect your feedback?

(Michelle ) #8

we do surveys for feedback :slight_smile:

(Damilola Onamusi) #9

Feedback is one of those things that is vital for the organiser but tedious for the attendee.

In the past I’ve used QuestionPro and included the link to the survey in an email with the link to the presentations and content from the conference. This worked well however after a while I noticed it was the same people over and over again.

In my current role, I personally do not deal with delegate feedback however I know that we use Survey Monkey which is extremely user friendly and delegates have a positive reaction to it.

I think the process of collecting feedback at events needs to be more interactive and straight to the point, has anyone implemented an interactive way of gaining feedback at their event(s), I’d love to know what was done and the reaction it got.

(Nick Lawson) #10

Has anyone seen the feedback buttons in airports?

I think the main blocker to getting feedback is the perceived effort required by attendees. What i like about these is that it is such as easy thing to do as you stroll past.

Potential to use something similar at events? Ipad stand at the door perhaps?

(Natasha Giller) #11

I like the button ones, they have them in Currys / PC World too, however, I can’t help but wonder how accurate they are? What if somebody presses the wrong button or somebody presses all of them? Also, it may tell you people didn’t like the event, but doesn’t say why.

I personally don’t think it would give enough valuable feedback to improve the next event.

(Julia Cloke) #12

I use surveygizmo to get feedback from members. I agree it’s very dull, but necessary to prove to management that the events work, that we’re meeting our members expectations, that they’re happy. Especially because their membership fees pay for the events we run.

We also do more ad hoc things too though like a feedback whiteboard with pens so people can scribble down their thoughts, getting delegates to write down three key words after a training course to describe their experience.

(Gary Wilton) #13

We produce a feedback form for each home matchday given to hospitality customers, these help us to monitor any complaints on the day and gives us the opportunity to visit their table and address those issues. We also ask if the customer would like us to contact them on a choice of future games or events at the Stadium by including their contact details which we add to our CRM - with relevant use of their data permissions selected - and follow up on the next working day. This also allows us to thank them for attending and gives us access to data for guests of the lead booker, which we wouldn’t otherwise obtain. Instant feedback works well for us!

(Krystyna Gadd) #15

Here is my evaluation form which is packed full of useful data for me and everyone loves to fill in!

(Marino Fresch) #16

@Krystyna_Gadd Love that!

(Nick Lawson) #17

@Krystyna_Gadd that is outstanding!

(Douglas Fairbrother) #18

I’ve seen at multiple events now (including our own) live polls run within sessions. Speakers begin the session by sharing a QR code or URL on the screen for visitors to connect, this enables event organizers to then collect the feedback throughout the event. I have also seen it used to run a poll at the start of a session, and again at the end to show the audience their shift in perception. Could be risky, but also insightful and engaging! (Which I think is really cool!)

(Nick Lawson) #19

What sort of questions are asked on the live polling? (“How well is this session going?”) Can speakers see realtime feedback of what is essentially their ‘performance’? This does seem a little risky/daunting.

Likewise have seen this done and think it’s a good idea. More than just for the event organisers, it’s also really useful for speakers to know if their content is resonating with the audience.

(Douglas Fairbrother) #21

The first example that comes to mind was a session I attended at the International Confex event a few weeks ago. The panel session proposed a question asking our perception around influencer marketing (or something similar). At the start of the session the poll showed the majority of the audience were not in favour of this approach. However at the end of the session the majority of the audience had changed their stance and were in favour of it.

Also great to receive anonymous questions throughout a session as some audience members may not be comfortable putting their hand up.

I wonder if this approach will ever be taken up in the classroom!

(Adam Parry) #22

I personally don’t like these Nick, they give no context to the feedback, there are lots of clever ways to get feedback at each step of the event, RFID is a great solution i.e wristbands or badges and at each stage of the event ask for feedback

1. Registration - Fast, Slow, I had a problem - Follow up Why?
  2. Speakers - Good, Bad etc etc