Have you ever turned down work based on ethics/principles?

Times are tough and we all need to earn money, so would you say no to organising an event you didn’t agree with or working with a company with questionable morals?

Marriott has come under fire this week for refusing to cancel a conference by anti-Muslim hate group ACT for America. Meanwhile, peace activists blockaded London ExCeL recently because it was playing host to the world’s biggest arms fair (102 arrests were made). Does a venue, for example, have a moral duty to not allow events like these?

What would you do if you were asked to organise an event somewhere like Saudi Arabia, where women are not allowed out without a man or to drive a car? Have you ever faced an ethical dilemma when it comes to your work?

1 Like

Good question! I worked on a food exhibition and the role normally involved visiting abattoirs but I’m vegetarian so I only signed on the basis that I wouldn’t have to go. I still wasn’t happy but really needed to work so I took the project on. Earlier this year I worked on a Buddhist event. I’m Church of England but I didn’t come across anything I really objected to and I took the project on to add a completely different type of event to my experience. ExCeL have previously stated that they will host any kind of event that is within the law but the arms event you mentioned is a huge challenge for them. Previously they’ve had protestors pour concrete down the loos and they’ve chained themselves to DLR trains!!

Gosh I think I’d find visiting abattoirs incredibly hard and I’m a meat eater. The only time I can think of that I’ve been faced with a moral dilemma in the line of duty was on a press trip to India. We were visiting a temple and the females were told that they weren’t allowed to go in if they were menstruating. This was naturally very embarrassing and in the end all the girls decided to boycott the visit.

1 Like

Good on the girls! I would definitely struggle in places where there is sexual discrimination - have had enough chauvinism and 1970s attitudes working in male dominated sectors in the UK. :grimacing:

1 Like

I feel it is our duty to stand against evil in any form. If we don’t then it will always win. Personally I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

1 Like

Hi @Beano have you experienced this yourself & declined any work?