Have you tried outsourcing?

(Belinda Booker) #1

I read ‘The 4 Hour Working Week’ and was inspired to try outsourcing in order to buy myself some time back. I used People Per Hour and got a PA in India to do some background research for an article and a transcriber in the States to type up a recorded interview. The latter I found really useful and have continued to use.
Has anybody else had success with outsourcing some of their more laborious tasks?

(Melissa Saunders) #2

Wow! Never even thought about this! I bring in other freelancers/suppliers on a project such as designers, coders, media buyers, printers etc. when I can but never thought about outsourcing other than for my large pile of ironing! Loving the concept of a four hour working week though. Now googling…

(Belinda Booker) #3

Ironing is a great one to outsource! I must confess to outsourcing my cleaning too. The way I justify it is that my hourly rate is more than the cleaner’s, so it’s actually costing me to be cleaning - my time is better spent working!

(Melissa Saunders) #4

I think outsourcing and freelancing are going to become a lot more common and our work lives are going to be very different from the traditional nine to five. Interesting times!

(Sabeha Mohamed) #5

I used to have a virtual assistant at my previous company - instead of hiring more employees I was given the equivalent budget to utilise a managed virtual assistant - was great when we had limited budget but needed bandwidth, https://www.managedvirtualassistants.com/

(Belinda Booker) #6

Sounds good. What sort of tasks could they carry out for you?

(Sabeha Mohamed) #7

administration, website updates, basic copywriting, social scheduling, basic reporting and basic research. Would definitely recommend.

(Belinda Booker) #8

Ooh yes, all those little jobs that take up so much time! Great idea to outsource those.

(Melissa Saunders) #9

What would you not outsource & why? Is there anything you really enjoy and would rather die than hand it over. Or is there anything you wouldn’t trust anyone else with?

(Belinda Booker) #10

I’d like to outsource everything and spend more time on the beach :grin: However, although I’m sure there are talented writers in other parts of the world who would have lower hourly rates than I do (meaning I could profit from the margin), I know I’d still have to spend a lot of time editing and re-writing and thus it wouldn’t be worthwhile. I’m a bit of a control freak when it comes to copy, so no shortcuts unfortunately!

(Melissa Saunders) #11

Yes, let’s go to the beach!! Reckon we could get enough wifi from the beach bar to honour our eventtribe commitments which we’re obviously not going to outsource!!
I’m the same with copy. I keep thinking I should outsource my accounts though but reckon by the time you’ve got everything together to give to your accountant you’ve done the bulk of the work. I’m going to try to do my tax return before January this time though so it’s not there waiting for me as soon as the new year chimes in like previous years :grimacing: