How big of a problem is the "glass ceiling" for women in the events industry?

(Belinda Booker) #1

According to the 2017 Women in Events survey, it’s a big problem. The salary gap is huge - females in the industry mostly take home £30-40k gross, while men earn £70k or more, and there is “severe underrepresentation” at board level. What have your experiences been? In an industry so heavily female dominated, why are there so few women at the top? What can the industry do to tip the balance?

(Miss lisa lauder) #2

From my observation’s of the Music industry so far, I have found that the women that stay in the industry, go it alone, or stay in HR type roles. I personally think this is because women see and feel differently, In a male dominated structure there are so many preconceived ideas and assumptions of a woman’s role, and it gets tiring to constantly feel like you are swimming against the tide. The best one is ‘get the tea darling’, I don’t accept it, I’m not the junior in the room, so my reply ranges from a glance to the speaker and back to my work, to the abrupt 'I knew I should have worn the pencil skirt and high heels, (I dress the same as the rest of my colleagues, jeans and shirt). As for pay, I know my worth, and it astounds me that other women, it this day and age, don’t. I have just not applied for or accepted jobs that did not reward me adequately. I earn just as much as my other half although our jobs are in different areas of the industry. I think the long and the short of it is, that the majority of women find other more fulfilling and enjoyable pastimes than the hard world that is corporate board rooms.
I hope my feelings help.
Have fun

(Belinda Booker) #3

I like that you give as good as you get Lisa!
I don’t think we’ll ever see true “equality” because women, understandably, want to take time out of their careers when they have children and then must prioritise their children once they return (taking time off when they’re sick or have school holidays). It’s an unfortunate truth that employing a man is just easier (and cheaper). It’s a massive burden on small companies when women go on maternity leave, especially as they have to leave their positions open. An ex boss of mine openly said he would be replacing me with a man when I went part time and accepted a lower level role after having my son!
What I do really take umbrage with is when similarly qualified women and men in the same roles get paid differently. The problem there is that people don’t talk about what they get paid. I think salaries should be mandatorily published so there’s more transparency.

(Miss lisa lauder) #4

I agree with you, the physical difference of having a baby is undeniable. But I think England should re think its maternity rights and perhaps give the leave to the child instead of the parent so any nominated person can take the leave, i.e. grandparents/aunts/uncles etc (Although I personally feel its right that the woman should be home with the child until weaning, but real life does not work like that). My step son lives in Norway and they are much more supportive to parents and do not distinguish between mother or father, it is up to the couple to make the decision.

As for pay levels, I have always been up front by the amount I am being paid, Any boss who prefers to hide this info has something to hide, you have to ask yourself, do you really want to work for that type of company? Again it comes back to knowing and believing in your worth, and insist on transparency, as this appears to be the latest buzz word.

This discussion will go on forever as we are all different and society attitudes change all the time. Work at something you love and you will never work a day in your life :slight_smile: Have fun, I know I will.

(Belinda Booker) #5

Yep I agree about the maternity rights. I also think there needs to be far greater provisions of free or subsidised childcare from age 6 months onwards. The cost of going back to work is a major preventative factor for many mums.

(Miss lisa lauder) #6

Absolutely, if the country needs the tax revenue of both parents, it needs to extend child care. Its always amazed me why we don’t fully utilise the school buildings, I think its called sweating assets! Have a great weekend.

(Belinda Booker) #7

I received news today that Butlin’s Conference & Events has signed up to the ‘Women in Hospitality, Travel and Leisure Charter’ created by PwC. Included in the charter is a pledge to annually reveal any gender pay gap. Apparently they are one of 10 hospitality businesses to sign up so far. Looks like great progress!