How did you find your event sponsor?

(Belinda Booker) #1

Finding a sponsor is a massive challenge; how did you secure yours? Please share your experiences!

(Melissa Saunders) #2

Good question!! Contacts generally and relationship-building so when someone is looking for an opportunity for exposure among your target audience and have £££ available they pick you over the millions of other opportunities. It remains a tough market and you need to be offering something over the competition. People do business with people and I think this is a long game rather than, "Quick! We need a sponsor. Call someone!"
Having unusual/bespoke/unique sponsorship opportunities can help secure the deal but you’ve got to get them in front of the potential client first. Making lots of noise generally around your event can help you fish out anyone actively looking to sponsor something but needle in a haystack comes to mind.

Various event organisers I’ve worked with have only allowed signed up exhibitors to become sponsors which protects exhibitors’ interests but significantly limits the sponsorship potential for that event. Others have built a sponsorship opportunity into a bespoke package which includes exhibiting and sponsoring an element of the event. Tricky stuff!
M

(Richard Heathcote) #3

I’ll be bookmarking this thread as we’ll at some point be possibly looking to try and do this for some of our events in the future too!
We’ve built up quite a decent network between me and my other team members, so we’re hoping it won’t be too much of a challenge; but seeing what people’s recommendations are in terms of what an event organiser can offer a potential sponsor in terms of ROI would be interesting.

(Belinda Booker) #4

Hey Richard, you might find this blog helpful; it’s about what sponsors look for in an event sponsorship opportunity: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/blog/guide-to-event-sponsorship-ds00/

(Melissa Saunders) #5

Great link Belinda…just shared with a colleague who’s been freshly tasked with selling sponsorship. Have also invited her to join us on here!

(Richard Heathcote) #6

Many thanks for that @Belinda_Booker - very useful!

(Jason McGuire) #7

I found a website called sponsor my event where you literally post up your pitch and packages and then big companies come in with offers. Only thing is the cost per month was about $35 for the full package. I took the free option but its extremely limited and therefore I couldn’t see if there was any potential for it to work.

My event is only 3 years old and only for 500 people but we have already attracted some decent names in to sponsor us. As we have projected plans and a place to expand to 20,000 over the next 10 years we are getting big name sponsors in early enticing them with loyalty as our festival grows.

I found knowing a contact works better than cold calling or emailing. A recommendation or introduction has worked best for me to get decent names on board.

If anyone has tried Sponsor My Event or any other website that offers sponsors through them please let me know your thoughts.

(Melissa Saunders) #8

Not heard of this website and also know that sponsorship is a really touch gig so really interested to hear if anyone has used this and what their experience was like. I think contacts are almost the only way but great if there’s an alternative route that works.

(Jade Farhangi) #9

Ah! so happy to have found this!
Will definitely be following as we are trying to find a sponsor, though in a slightly different situation as we are a venue.
Not quite sure how to go about it! We are looking for a champagne or alcohol sponsor, and have looked at Sponsor my Event
but it obviously caters for a different sector of “eventing”.

Are there any venues here that can offer advice? don’t really want to approach a sponsor and be like “Hey, we have lots of rich and famous people coming through our doors every day - give us Champagne and we will give you exposure” :confused:

Help please :see_no_evil:

(Belinda Booker) #10

You might want to check out these guys: http://www.sponsormonster.co.uk/

(Jade Farhangi) #11

Thanks! will have a look :slight_smile:

(Belinda Booker) #12

Hi Jay, I’m writing an article about why sponsors choose to work with particular events and wondered if it might be possible to get a quote from any of yours? The aim is to give some insight into what sponsors look for. Please let me know. Thanks

(Jason McGuire) #13

I don’t like to pester my sponsors too much so far away from the festival but I do have a few that are more like ‘friends’ even though they are sponsors so I can ask them for a quote for you.

I just bagged a sponsor through the power of Facebook. I was replying to people talking about alcohol and their favourite tipples and they were all tagging different brand pages. One major brand replied and said they love a good festival and to get in touch. 30 minutes later on the phone and we have a drink sponsor! The power of social media!!!

(Belinda Booker) #14

Wow, that’s such a great story! Would that sponsor be willing to give a few words? It seems like an unusual way for them to identify an event to sponsor. Would love to know more about their thinking.

(Jason McGuire) #15

Heres a quote from Paul Stanley of Cloven Hoof Rum…

"At Cloven Hoof HQ we get asked to sponsor tons of events but we say no to most straight away especially when all the organisers are after is a stack of cash. We look to sponsor events with a similar ethos to ours, where we can support each other and both benefit in a decent, honourable way. We do events where the organisers have a like minded passion and this normally revolves around heavy music of some description. We sponsor events where we have control on the price of Cloven Hoof - there’s nothing worse than being stitched up by a big corporate brand and paying over the odds for a cheap drink.

When it comes to the size of festivals we tend to prefer the smaller ones as they look after the bands better and do their best to give something back. It stinks that at some of the bigger festivals the headliners can command huge fees and as result some of the smaller up and coming bands end up paying to perform.

We can’t wait to Raise The Hoof at Breaking Bands - everything about it has the right vibe and is in keeping with our brand and morals"

(Jason McGuire) #16

As for the other one. I asked them on the phone what attracted them to us and their ethos is very similar to that in the quote above, that they love music. Their brand was founded and launched through a very large music festival and they love to support the bands. They hadn’t heard of our festival but they have a very active social media team so when they saw all the comments about their drink they wanted to see if they could get on board. We will be their smallest festival when they come next year but they said they have sponsored small events that have grown into major ones and from what they saw on our social media and website, they felt that we could work well together.

(Belinda Booker) #17

That’s fantastic. Thanks for the quick response. I’ll send you a link once it’s live next week.

(Melissa Saunders) #18

Amazing!

(Nick Lawson) #19

Linking in this v helpful article here by @Belinda_Booker (thanks for your contribution @Jay)
http://www.eventtribe.com/t/10-event-sponsors-reveal-why-they-chose-to-support-events/2392

(Jason McGuire) #20

Thanks for this Nick and Belinda. Eventribe has already been a great resource for me in just the few weeks I have been here. This is good as it shows my new sponsor that its a 2 way street when it comes to promotion (hes also just sent me 24 mini bottles of rum to give away!)