How did you get your first job in the events industry?

(Belinda Booker) #1

The industry can be hard to break into for newbies - how did you get your foot on the ladder?

(Melissa Saunders) #2

Marketing experience and a passion for motorsport got me a job promoting events at Brands Hatch, Silverstone and other circuits in the group. After that I went to work in other sectors but got back into events via a former colleague who recommended me for a role working on the British Motor Show. From there on work has mainly come via contacts.

(Belinda Booker) #3

So have you moved from promotional to operational or are you still mainly focused on the marketing side?

(Melissa Saunders) #4

Marketing all the way for me! Although I never say “never” I don’t have any aspirations on the operational side.

(Belinda Booker) #5

Ooh I do. I’d love to organise a festival for great, contemporary cover bands. I think there’s a gap in the market for that.

(Melissa Saunders) #6

I’d buy a ticket for that!

(Mark) #7

I started out as a volunteer in almost every event, I could be allowed into.In festivals and conferences volunteering long shifts.I learnt alot.

The next step was to get a certification to be recognised within the industry circles.However being a constant learner has opened great opportunities for me.

(Melissa Saunders) #8

Hi Mark, I think your volunteer days will stand you in good stead for your whole events career. There is no substitute for experience and the insight it brings. What certification did you get?

(Belinda Booker) #9

Volunteering is such a great way to get experience. What sort of roles did you volunteer in and was it difficult to get the placements or did the organisers bite your hand off?

(Belinda Booker) #10

4 posts were split to a new topic: Get a government funded apprentice for your events business