How do you book bedrooms if you don't want to lose money on cancellation

(Csaba Nagy) #1

Hi all,

I have a vision to organize a two days workshop for about 50 people without any experience /ok, I been working in a conference event,center for 8 years/ and I cannot get over a point.

As I have no experience I am not quite sure how many people will buy ticket for the event and if I book a venue with 24 hours rate with 50 bedrooms, I will have to pay a huge cancellation fee if only 20 people will buy tickets.
Should I sell ticket not including the bedrooms?
Do you think I can loose potential clients if the ticket isn’t including the bedrooms.

Do you have any advice how I should do please
I really want 2 days event as the banqueting dinner would be part of the show.

Thanks,

(Belinda Booker) #2

I agree hotel’s attrition rates can be scary. I would advise, especially as this is your first event, to let the participants book their own rooms and just agree a preferential rate with the hotel. Liaise with the hotel to select a date when they’re likely to have plenty of availability and can accommodate you if your event sells out. It would also be wise to start promoting your event a long way in advance so participants can make their arrangements. I don’t think people will be put off by this at all, especially if you have a special room rate for the event.

(Csaba Nagy) #3

Thanks Belinda, I will try to start advertise 4 month earlier but it is also important how do you advertise not only how long.

(Melissa Saunders) #4

Agree with Belinda, I’d concentrate on selling the event tickets and let delegates worry about their own accommodation. Perhaps work with a specific hotel chain or third party vendor like hotels.com and negotiate a special offer that you can promote to your delegates. Don’t think this will be an issue for anyone interested in attending. They will probably prefer the transparency on pricing and the freedom to choose their own accommodation. Good luck!

(Csaba Nagy) #5

Thanks, I think the best if they stay in the same venue as if we have a party after the dinner it will be easier to find their room. Probably everyone will have a few unit of alcohol so better to don’t waist time in the taxi.

(Allison Pinney Collis) #6

Most venues will provide an allocation of unguaranteed rooms with release periods (Usually an allowance up to 6 weeks before the event). How many will depend upon the overall anticipated spend at the hotel? If it’s a small booking, they’re more likely to offer fewer rooms. Guests book direct using a reference (which can be as simple as the event name and provide credit card details to secure the booking. A good venue should be able to advise and offer you a solution.

(Csaba Nagy) #7

Very useful, thanks.

(Belinda Booker) #8

Who are you targeting to attend the event - is it a business or consumer audience? What is the topic of the workshop? These factors will influence where you should advertise.

(Csaba Nagy) #9

I am a photographer and planning to do portrait, fashion workshop for young people. I set it up a specific Instagram account so followers knows who we are and why we have this account. Fast growing at the moment,started in April and now nearly 9000 followers I have. Also there are some FB group for photographers. My target is the young generations between 18-26 so also planning to contact art schools.
These are the cheapest ways to find people, definitely not planning to advertise in magazines.
That’s all what I have on my mind.

(Belinda Booker) #10

9,000 followers already - good going! As your workshop is aimed at a specific age group with a specific interest it would be worth doing some Facebook targeted advertising around the local area where you’re holding the event. This would be low budget but should reach exactly the people you’re looking to attract.

(Csaba Nagy) #11

Sounds good, thanks Belinda.