How far do you expect event attendees to travel?

(Belinda Booker) #1

More than half of organisers think travel to UK events should take less than an hour, according to a new poll. Travelling across London on the Underground can take longer than this so how do you select the best location for your event? How important is ease of access to you when selecting venues and how do you maximise your catchment area?

(Melissa Saunders) #2

Good question, I think it depends on the event but I would generally look for my audiences within a ninety minute travel time of the event especially if it’s a special interest/passion led event. For outdoor events such as festivals and events based around outdoor events such as mountain climbing, wild swimming, watersports etc. I think people will travel further. I don’t normally get involved in choosing a venue but access and transport links are hugely important and it’s generally easier to persuade people within your audience who live closer to the venue to attend so I would start at the venue and work outwards depending on the event.

(Belinda Booker) #3

Yes I think you’re right it depends on the type of event. I’ve travelled five hours for music festivals. If it was an after work business event, on the other hand, I would be looking at around the 45 mins mark.

(Melissa Saunders) #4

And a glass of wine on arrival!