How many times should you email a lapsed subscriber?

emailmarketing
gdpr

(Melissa Saunders) #1

With GDPR looming on the horizon and all it’s implications, many of us are engaged in re-consent email campaigns. This can involve a fair bit of time and effort so I’m wondering how many times should you email people on your database re GDPR? If they’ve not responded after three times of asking is it time to write them off? Or do you keep trying until midnight on 24th May? Once they’re gone, they’re gone! Thoughts?

(Maricar Jagger) #2

Hi Melissa, my question too. As a consumer myself, I wouldn’t mind people asking every couple of weeks as the deadline is looming. Maybe using a lighter language or by tagging it to another message? Shouldn’t all our email messages carry the reminder for people to update their details?

And, yes, once the date is past, we should delete the names. We need to be faithful to that process or risk ending up with ‘dead-end’ names in our databases (or a fine!).

(Richard Heathcote) #3

For our networking events, we’re still replicating our email campaign and sending it to the old list still, and we’ll be doing our final reminder early May.

Our mailshots only go out once a month as an event reminder the previous week to the event, so there’s been several reminders gone out since we set up the new list now.

Most people that should be on the new list are now, there’s just a few stragglers of people we know who attend regularly that haven’t, for whatever reason, resubscribed yet.

However, we know them well enough so we’ll most likely just send them some personal messages individually to remind them in case they’ve forgotten/presumed they were already on the new list etc.

But yes, May will be our last general reminder, after that, our old list will be deleted and never used again. People have had plenty of warning now! So yeah if they suddenly find they’re not hearing from us anymore, all they have to do is resubscribe to our new mailing list :smile:

(Melissa Saunders) #4

I’m starting to get GDPR emails now from a range of organisations I have a subscription with. I’ve had two emails in the space of four days from one which I thought was a bit much. I’m deliberately not re-consenting so I get more of their comms to study. Some are taking the “if you don’t confirm you’ll miss out approach,” some are leading with “take control of your data” angle and I’m looking at a range of positive keep subscribing messages. Will be interesting to see what response rates look like versus how old the data is. .

(Maricar Jagger) #5

Hi Melissa, I seem to be getting emails from organisations I don’t even think I subscribed to!

(Vaibhav Jain) #6

Hey Melissa,

GDPR compliance is definitely going to take a toll on subscriptions. One might need to rethink their strategy of managing cold leads.

If they haven’t replied after three subsequent emails, it’s best to send one last follow-up email to try and engage them. If the subscriber is a good lead, you can put some time and effort into creating a more effective campaign, one that’s more planned out, visually as well as in terms of content.

You can stretch it out to a fifth email, but I suggest it’s better to write them off after that.

(Melissa Saunders) #7

I’m getting one or two every day now!

(Melissa Saunders) #8

Thanks Vaibhav, It all seems so final!!

(Belinda Booker) #9

I think twice is enough. From receiving them myself, I’m only re-opting in to the ones I’m still interested in. I think you’re either interested or your not; you shouldn’t try to persuade them as they won’t truly be engaged.

(Melissa Saunders) #10

good point!

(Richard Millington) #11

Anyone know if there are any regulations here for this?

My guess is after May 25th the answer is probably zero.

(Belinda Booker) #12

Right. After the 25th you will no longer be able to contact people on your mailing list who have not opted in.

(Melissa Saunders) #13

Just had a GDPR email from a charitable organisation which said they’d send me a few reminders before 25 May. Interesting! That’s not really encouraging me to confirm now then & is going to increase their send costs. Sounds like they’re looking at 3 minimum GDPR emails per subscriber.

(Melissa Saunders) #14

Once they’re gone they’re gone! Resubscribing is always an option if they just forget before May 25.

(Belinda Booker) #15

How did your GDPR-related job go the other day? I’ve just been writing some copy for a client’s permission pass campaign. I think the sheer quantity of these things people are going to be receiving is going to be detrimental to opt in. We’ll have inboxes full of them!

(Melissa Saunders) #16

I’ve been working on it for two weeks and they’ve just asked me to stay for another two weeks. There are several million on the database going back to the 90s with the majority requiring re-consent… We’re testing different subject lines/copy at the moment and so far a very direct call to action is performing better. I’ve kept the design really simple and clean so it doesn’t look like a regular newsletter or marketing communication beyond the mandatory branding…

I’m receiving at least one GDPR email a day currently - of varying quality - which is great for reference.

(Melissa Saunders) #17

Amused to receive this email from Pizza Express today - I’ve not been asked for ID in years!! :joy::joy:

(Belinda Booker) #18

Wow that’s some database. Have they decided how many times they will email the individuals who do not respond?

(Melissa Saunders) #19

We’ve segmented the data and planning to email subscribers who’ve signed up in the past three years three or four times maximum and emailing older data only once but all subject to change. We’re testing and learning as we go.

(Belinda Booker) #20

Ah great to hear the strategy. I’ve noticed that many companies HAVEN’T sent an opt in email yet. Is this because they obtained sufficient consent at sign up?