How to Sell Out Your Events with Influencer Marketing - AMA with Georgina Rutherford

(Melissa Saunders) #1

When it comes to Influencer Marketing for your events, what are the questions you need answers to?

Maybe you need guidance on on how to find the right influencers? And, once you have found them, perhaps you are unsure about how to approach them?

Or, do you need guidance on quantifying your Influencer Marketing campaigns?

This AMA (Ask Me Anything) has you covered!

We are delighted to welcome Georgina, from Influencer Marketing Agency, as our special guest on EventTribe from 20th to 24th February to discuss Influencer Marketing with our members. Georgina will be here to answer any questions you want! To ask her a question, just post it below.

A bit about Georgina:
Georgina Rutherford is Head of Marketing and Communications at IMA: a full-service agency that helps leading international brands engage and activate audiences through the power of influencer marketing. Georgina works to educate and inspire audiences about influencer marketing and has shared insights on stages around the world and in publications such as The Huffington Post and Contagious Magazine. She is a passionate believer in human-to-human storytelling and creativity across digital media.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Coming up this week: influencer marketing with georgina rutherford
(Amy Martin) #8

When it comes to micro-influencers, is there a maximum required follower number, bearing in mind that these influencers will have smaller follower numbers anyway due to nature of their reach?

(Nick Lawson) #9

Hi Georgina!

Do most influencers charge based on their follower number or is it done by engagements?

(Belinda Booker) #10

Hi Georgina, I’d like to know how you go about identifying micro influencers in your niche?

(Melissa Saunders) #11

Hi Georgina, how do you go about finding suitable influencers and what are you looking for beyond relevance to your area of interest?

(Nick Lawson) #12

(Georgina Rutherford) #13

Hi Amy,

Thanks for your question! We usually advise to look at micro-influencers who have a follower count around 1-2K and above. This indicates that they have a community (size isn’t everything!) and a sense of what their community is interested in hearing about. If the following size is any smaller you run the risk of working with an influencer who is perhaps not fully committed to the partnership and/or doesn’t have the time to give it their full attention.

(Georgina Rutherford) #14

Hi Nick,

Influencers usually charge based on their follower count, however we look at engagement rate to see if they’re really going to be worth what they’re charging. An influencer may have 1M followers but an engagement rate of below 1%. You’re then most likely paying for eyeballs but not quality interest that drives fans to action. Influencer fees can be a tricky road to navigate and there’s no fixed ‘formula’, but we look at fee thresholds and are able to advise based on the quality of the influencer (which goes far beyond follower count!).

(Georgina Rutherford) #15

Hi Belinda. I would advise to start by looking close to home, perhaps by seeing who is following your business account or returning attendees. Another great way is to ‘social listen’, so to look through hashtags and geo-locations to see if there are any influencers with ‘top’ posts that you can identify. Make sure to check that the influencer and the audience is the right audience for your event. That includes looking at where the influencer is based (which is especially interesting for events) and what their followers are talking about. Are they asking the right questions? Do they express an interest in the right niche for your event? Perhaps talking about a unique genre of music? When working with an influencer you are, in essence, engaging with their audience so its paramount that their audience will want to hear about your event.

(Georgina Rutherford) #16

Hi Melissa,
There are quite a few factors to consider when looking to find suitable influencers. You can do this yourself, make use of several social media tools or work with an agency such as ours to help you find the right match for your event.

I think a very crucial element to check is whether their following is legitimate. Are they buying fake followers or using bots? If they have 200,000 followers and 4 comments on a post then there’s probably something wrong. Another way is to look at the comments - do they seem real or just ‘spammy’ and asking for likes? Furthermore, do they have digital presence across multiple platforms? If they only have one account that may be a red flag.

It’s also important to track their growth rate. Do they have a steady growth in followers? This may be a great indicator that they’re working hard to beat the algorithms and producing content on a consistent basis that their followings really want to engage with. I would also advise to look at whether they have worked with other companies before (perhaps even competitors) and if they have experience with (non)sponsored collaborations.

Another important factor is the content they’re creating. Is it more raw/honest? Or polished? Is what they’re communicating and how they’re communicating it right for you and your area of interest? It all comes down to finding people who are fans of your event and who have the potential to turn their followers into future attendees.

(Melissa Saunders) #17

Many thanks Georgina. That’s hugely helpful. I had no idea of where to start with influencer marketing but lots of great advice here. :grinning:

(Belinda Booker) #18

Many thanks for the answer. That’s a really interesting point to look beyond the influencer to their audience and see what they’re talking about. As you say, they are just a conduit to those people.

(Markisha Velazquez) #19

Hi Georgina,

Once you find the perfect Influencer how do you development an agreement that is mutually beneficial? Does the Influencer set the terms or should you propose specifics like a post on a blog and social media with your business tagged? Is there an industry standard for this type of brand and influencer agreement?

Thanks for your help!
Kisha

(Georgina Rutherford) #20

Hi Markisha,

Thanks for your question! The best way is for you to propose specifics such as number of posts, the duration of your partnership and what they will get in return. It would be great if you could set this out for them in a timeline. It also helps to discuss the concept with them, i.e. what kind of content you had in mind, whether you have a handle you want tagging or a hashtag you would like used. There’s no industry standard as the agreement will differ per project, but it’s really important to remember to give the influencer as much freedom as possible. They are the content creator, if they feel like you trust their vision and abilities then the content they create will be of a much higher standard and drive higher levels of engagement. You could even get them involved at the beginning and ask them what their following would love to see in terms of your event. Being transparent, clear and open-minded at the start of a collaboration will pay off in the long run. Best of luck!

(Markisha Velazquez) #21

Hi Georgina,

All really amazing advice! I like the idea of collaborating with the influencer from the beginning to plan the event and the promotional content.

Thank you!
Kisha

(Nikki Casey) #22

Hi Georgina can you give me an idea of what financial (or other) rewards influencers expect, I really wouldn’t know how to put a price on this

(Alex Velinov) #23

Can you give us an idea of which countries influencers marketing works best and worst and why?

(Rebecca Stein) #24

Hi Georgina,

Is there a way to track results from the influencers posting? Or how can you know if an influencer campaign is helping to sell out the event?

Thanks!

(Nick Lawson) #25

Thanks Georgina!

An unrelated further question if I may?

Are you able to give an example of where you’ve done a really niche influencer campaign and seen results from it? I’ve heard about “micro-influencers”, but in your opinion what’s the smallest scale these work kind of campaigns work at?

(Melissa Saunders) #26

Good question @Markisha_Velazquez - I was wondering that myself!