How would you improve London for event organisers & delegates?

infrastructure
eventsupport
transport
b2b
london

(Melissa Saunders) #1

The Mayor of London has announced his vision for tourism (http://exhibitionnews.uk/mayor-london-launches-tourism-vision/) and one of the key recommendations is: Develop the infrastructure for business visits to ensure the city remains attractive for event organisers and delegates. What would you do?

(Belinda Booker) #2

I went to Boston recently and couldn’t believe how affordable it was to get around the city. I got a 7 day, unlimited use Charlie card for about $22. Oyster in comparison looks like terrible value.

(Melissa Saunders) #3

Yes transport costs are a major headache as are engineering works when your event takes place over a weekend. I’ve experienced London hotel prices as a barrier to selling exhibition stands too. Financing accommodation for the whole team for several nights in London can be a tough ask for some organisations. The organisers I’ve worked with usually negotiate special rates for exhibitors but it still puts people off. Not sure how you overcome that though.

(Belinda Booker) #4

That’s why business users are starting to make use of the sharing economy (airbnb etc). I used an airbnb in Boston (with an airbnb business account) and it was miles cheaper than any other accommodation in the city.

(Melissa Saunders) #5

I’ve not tried airbnb yet but it’s definitely something to think about. I’m on site at the NEC next week and my client is paying for me to stay at the Hilton which is great but will definitely think about airbnb in future.