Imaginative Conference Ideas

I’m looking for conference inspiration so reviving this conversation. What’s the best conference that you have ever been to, and who organised it?

1 Like

Great question @muonabena - thanks for reviving! Perhaps some of our @Conferences members can share some inspiration with you.

1 Like

WIRED 2016 (organised by WIRED) - the content (speaker lineup) was fantastic

2 Likes

Did you see this? Some good ideas for shaking up the format:

2 Likes

An accountancy conference invited a farmer to speak at their event about lone working and being part of a family business.

3 Likes

At IMEX Frankfurt this month they are having the woman who heads up Germany’s space programme give an inspirational talk to women in events about ‘reaching for the stars’ :grin:

2 Likes

Loving that! :star_struck:

You might find this interesting. It’s a video of an interview I did with Davie Philip, a community activist, event organiser and facilitator based in Ireland. He uses some innovative formats and processes in his events, unconference being just one… https://blog.lineup.ninja/using-the-art-of-hosting-in-event-design-an-interview-with-davie-philip-of-cultivate-ie-a5309e22a1d1

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Joe.

1 Like

@JoeA your post in the thread about networking ideas is also great for conferences in general:

3 Likes

Yes, our @Conferences members should definitely check it out.

I was interested to read about the approach taken by the organisers of the IACC Americas Connect conference, who put a ban on PowerPoint presentations with slides that included more than one-word.

The mission for the event, which took place in Canada last month, was to turn the stereotypical conference on its head and “create an environment where delegates could think differently”.

The keynote speaker for the event was Pablos Holman, former computer hacker turned inventor, who delivered a session that encouraged attendees to be the disruptors of the events industry and find solutions to some of the industry’s biggest problems.

Who else thinks banning wordy presentations is a good ideas?

2 Likes