Introduce yourself to the EventTribe community!

gettingstarted

(Belinda Booker) #624

What kind of people are you looking for? Other members may be able to help you out?

(Kathryn Webb) #625

I am just trying to get as many serving personnel and veterans included in the event, My aim is to do some sort of parade with a marching band before the parachute display team do there jump. Where its something all very new to me its just finding the right places to look and getting in contact with the right people.

(Peter Shafran) #626

Hi all.
I’m the Executive Producer of River Spirit Music, a small concert and festival production company based in Hastings-on-Hudson, just 12 miles north of NYC. I started about 10 years ago producing shows in local cafes and restaurants, adding a house concert series (in our living room). This past year, after adding a series in a local art gallery and one other venue, I decided to make this my full time gig . In 2018, I will adding another venue and will be launching an outdoor summer music series and festival.

I am looking forward to hearing from you and contributing to this forum.

Peter Shafra

(Melissa Saunders) #627

Hi Kathryn, congratulations on the new role and hope it’s going well. I’m sure with your fresh pair of eyes, experience and drive it will be a great success. Are you in touch with the British Legion? Also, might be having a conversation with the main local newspaper if you haven’t already. Perhaps you could make them a media partner in exchange for them pre-promoting and covering the event if they’re up for this. Sounds like your event would be great content for them. Maybe try veteran’s publications too. Social media is great but sometimes you need more traditional methods to get to some of your audience. Good luck!

(Belinda Booker) #628

You could consider teaming up with some local armed forces charities like SSAFA Hampshire? https://www.ssafa.org.uk/hampshire

(Belinda Booker) #629

Concerts in your living room? That’s brave! Congrats on going full time. Will this be your first time organising a festival?

(Peter Shafran) #630

Yes, we are in the middle of our 6th season. We seat 45 people and open our doors an hour before the show and invite the audience to bring items for a potluck dinner.

I organized my first festival in 2014 but have been volunteering at festivals for many years.

I just saw your LinkedIn profile - do you live in Spain?

(Kathryn Webb) #631

yes they have been contacted so hopefully they will be able to attend and inform the people they see about the event.

(Belinda Booker) #632

What a great idea. I’d like to write about using your own home as an event venue, so I may well be in touch in future on that one. I am indeed in Spain - based near Marbella on the Costa del Sol.

(Belinda Booker) #633

2 posts were split to a new topic: Hosting concerts in your home

(Richard Goodwin) #634

Hi I’m Richard Goodwin, I run an Apprenticeship, careers consultancy and training firm which has just started offering the new Event Assistant Apprenticeships. Here is link to the official standard: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/503649/Event_Assistant.pdf
This is still very much niche provision and I want to be involved with the community to understand whether the programme (which was designed by events agencies)fits.
To date some big brands have bought in including Southbank Centre, Royal Opera House, Alzheimer’s Research UK, City & Guilds, Harrow School Enterprises Limited, First Agency, DRP, Haymarkert and Imagination.

(Sara Strijbosch-Ali) #635

It’s a mixture of Maltese and English. Josef U Gianni’s Show which means Josef’s and Gianni’s show. Josef and Gianni are the directors of the company

(Abena P) #636

Hi @PeterShafran have you heard of Sofar Sounds? I went to a gig in someone’s living room in Brighton and it was amazing! Might be good for ideas. Their website is https://www.sofarsounds.com

(Peter Shafran) #637

Yes, Abena. I know about Sofar. it’s an interesting concept, but it’s not for someone like me who has been hosting concerts for a while. I think it’s for the occasional host or newbie.

(Belinda Booker) #638

Ah ha now we know! Malta is a great events destination. I went on a fam trip a few years back and fell in love with the Mdina and casa rocca piccola. Are you working on anything interesting at the moment?

(Melissa Saunders) #639

Great site and have just recommended it to my friends who gig!

(georgina.forbes@romseymill.org) #640

Hi,
I am Georgina and I work as a fundraiser for a medium size charity working with children, youth and families experiencing significant disadvantage in Cambridge, UK.
Part of my role is planning events. Although we are quite small we like to do things BIG.
My next event is a Charity Quiz Night for 160 people, we then have our 3rd annual Charity Golf Tournament - I introduced this and as a non golfer its been a real learning curve. Then we have Bridge the Gap - a big charity walk in its 17th year. This is a joint run event with Arthur Rank Hospice Charity and involves 2500 walkers following a 5 mile route incorporating the private gardens of 8 of the Cambridge University Colleges. Then we are planning our first Gala evening for November.
EventTribe is a really useful space and a great community - I found your Event Insurance seminar very interesting.
Glad to be here!

(Melissa Saunders) #641

Hi Georgina, welcome! Glad you found the event insurance seminar useful. Sounds like you are pretty busy. Nice mix of established and new events. Apart from fitting it all in, what’s your biggest challenge at the moment?

(Lady Rayne Mc Cloud) #642

I moved away from Miami Florida 5 years ago and basically started my entire life over. I have tried every way possible that I know to build here in Harrisburg PA but its so different that its a nightmare and I am starting to just want to give up! I am trying again and have a show on March 31st. But already I feel its really close and the ticket sales are not going to cut it.

(Melissa Saunders) #643

Hi there, Rayne! Welcome aboard and thanks for joining us. Sorry to read that you’re having such a challenge. What kind of event do you have planned in March?