Making your event more environmentally friendly

(Kirk ) #21

We ran an event last year on ‘Event food wastage’ which might be able to offer you some idea’s How to reduce event food wastage

(Belinda Booker) #22

Hi @Mark_Dalgarno , did you put any of these suggestions into practice? I’m going to be writing an article on easy ways to green your event and I’m looking for real-life examples.

What other initatives have EventTribe community members tried? Please let me know and I’ll feature you in the article.

(Mark Dalgarno) #23

My colleague @Jacqui_Davidson is working on this…

(Nick Lawson) #24

My colleague was at an event on the weekend where they were using these:

They’re made from cornstarch apparently… anyone using them?

(Abena P) #25

Me! Love them :slight_smile:

(Daniel Ralph) #26

Our main events are based around driving exotic vehicles around Europe for each of the tours we hold we calculate the carbon output of the vehicles and offset their emissions by funding the planting of trees through carbon footprint.com

(Nick Lawson) #27

What a great initiative!

(Belinda Booker) #28

Love the cornstarch cups, but what about cutlery you can eat?! https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/apr/13/edible-cutlery-company-eat-plastic-pollution-oceans

(Julianne Johnson) #29

May I ask, @Jacqui_Davidson, how do you collect the badges back in? I place drop boxes with a sign by the exits and this seems to do the trick but wondered if there is something else I could do to improve on this.

(Jacqui Davidson) #30

We promote recycling badge holding during the close of the event as well as putting boxes with clear signage (Please recycle badge holders!).
Also a couple of the team members are on hand saying goodbye and promoting recycling bade holder plus getting back feedback forms by the exit. Hope that helps

(Vaibhav Jain) #31

Sustainable Event Planning is a major concern these days. There are lots of ways in which you can make your event more environmentally friendly.

• Recycling
  • Use of technology (use digital tools like app instead of paper brochures)
  • Manage food waste (organic ingredients, environment-friendly utensils, recyclable plates and straws)
  • Save electricity

Integrating the ‘green’ element within small aspects of your event can have a major impact.

(Abena P) #32

We have drop boxes with sign to collect badges and then include a request in the closing remarks of the event…then position ourselves by the event exit to take badges off people (we have no shame :blush:)

(Richard Millington) #33

Some places I think (Germany?) have recycling laws that also apply to events.

If anyone has any legal expertise, might be worth checking this up. I doubt they’re alone.

(Daisy) #34

Hi all,
Do you know that in reality, only 9% of the recyclable plastic actually gets recycled. Therefore, event managers should carefully consider the products used at their events or select alternative materials.
Plastic waste crisis has raised a significant issue within the event industry. As future events managers, we have written a blog providing methods that can use to reduce and control plastic waste.
Read our blog to find out more !!!

(Belinda Booker) #35

Hi Daisy, it’s well worth reminding people of that fact. Even if an event manager is diligent about their recycling, it doesn’t actually mean that waste will be recycled once it’s been removed from site. The only answer is to eliminate all single-use plastic (or reduce as much as possible). People are often critical of small initiatives such as banning plastic straws, but at an event with thousands of attendees this is still significant. Whatever you can do, do it!