"Man dead at Tunbridge Wells hedonistic festival"

(Belinda Booker) #1

I saw this on the BBC news site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-41011598

And it got me thinking. What kind of health and safety measures do most organisers carry out for their events? How do you mitigate against potentially risky activities? How do you ensure responsible drinking or prevent drug taking? I’d love to hear your experiences.

(Melissa Saunders) #2

I live in Kent so my Facebook feed has featured this quite a bit…mainly because it’s not the type of event that many Tunbridge Wells residents see as in-keeping with the character of the area. It took place on land belonging to a friend of a friend with a ‘live and let live’ attitude. I’ve seen some unconfirmed speculation that the death was due to carbon monoxide poisoning from a barbecue used inside a tent. Thoughts are with family and friends.

In my limited experience of working on festivals visitor information has mainly focused on coming prepared for all weathers, keeping hydrated, being respectful of other visitors/neighbours etc. I think the only thing you can do re potentially dangerous activities is provide an appropriate environment for the activities in which these can take place, outline to participants what is involved/provide proper briefings, advise of any groups who shouldn’t/cannot participate e.g. under 16s, pregnant women, anyone with a heart condition etc. Plus have trained first aiders/medical professionals on site and ensure the whole team are aware of emergency procedures.

(Belinda Booker) #3

Hmm yes I bet there were a few ‘outraged of Tunbridge Wells’ when they heard about that event taking place!
As they say in the article though, despite its theme and content, the event only needed a Temporary Event Notice. I think lots of people would be surprised about the type and scale of event you can put on without much involvement from the authorities. It goes back to what @Jay was saying about needing greater regulation for festivals.

(Melissa Saunders) #4

#OutragedanddisgustedofTunbridgeWells Even I was surprised about the temporary license We definitely need more regulation.

(Belinda Booker) #5

:joy::joy: