Open Space -Creating your own alternative venue - pros & cons

(Allison Pinney Collis) #1

I’m considering moving away from traditional venues and leasing a warehouse or similar for a month/week to create a series of spaces which works for my event needs. It will be a balance of cost/budget to get it right, but I wondered if anyone in this group has any personal insights they can share

(Melissa Saunders) #2

Interesting idea Allison. What kind of events do you organise?

(Allison Pinney Collis) #3

Hi Melissa,

Usually conferences but i have a client who is looking to change their style/format and energy. The ideas i have need a flexible space. A 15K overnight set-up cost could be used much more efficiently covering venue hire and basic infrastructure. I foresee catering being a challenge but considering streetfood vendors as a good options. By taking a shell i’m hoping we can have more time to play with budget to achieve the space flexibility etc Still exploring! I was supported an event which took over an old railway station!

Alli

(Melissa Saunders) #4

Sounds great. The Truman Brewery in East London host a lot of pop up events of all sorts within the raw event spaces there. Let us know how you get on.

(Belinda Booker) #5

Sounds like a good idea if you can find the right space for the right money and have good relationships with suppliers. You’d just need to get all the quotes and cost it carefully, but it could offer you a lot more flexibility. Have you seen any venues that would be available on that basis?