[Poll Of The Week]: Changes To The Data Protection Act in 2018 - How Ready Are You?

polloftheweek

(Richard Heathcote) #21

According to the info coming out of the seminars I’ve already attended, GDPR will most likely remain a UK adopted legislation even when BREXIT is all done and dusted. Certainly for the foreseeable they say, in the years hence.

(Melissa Saunders) #22

Good to know, thanks Mx

(Nick Lawson) #23

Thanks to @womeninthecity for sharing this email for mailchimp that provides some clarity - anyone else receive it?

Last week, we sent you an email announcing that MailChimp is adding single opt-in as an option and making it the default setting in new and existing lists.

However, because your primary contact address is in the EU, your existing forms will remain double opt-in. You can change your lists to single opt-in on the Signup Preferences page at any time. After November 3, you’ll also be able to make that change in each list’s settings.

We made this decision after receiving a lot of feedback from EU customers who told us that single opt-in does not align with their business needs in light of the upcoming GDPR and other local requirements. We heard you, and we’re sorry that we caused confusion.

Please know that we’re committed to helping our customers get ready for the GDPR. Double opt-in provides additional proof of consent, and we suggest you continue using double opt-in if your business will be subject to the GDPR.

For more information on why MailChimp is making changes to our opt-in choices, read our blog post.

Please reply to this email if you have any questions.

(Nick Lawson) #24

And the doc they attached

https://kb.mailchimp.com/binaries/content/assets/mailchimpkb/us/en/pdfs/mailchimp_gdpr_sept2017.pdf?utm_source=SysAlert_Single+Opt-In_EU_17.10&utm_campaign=eb32ad4e44-SINGLE_SIGN_ON_2017_10_24&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a53b99057f-eb32ad4e44-210746269&mc_cid=eb32ad4e44&mc_eid=0b0c197a79

(Richard Heathcote) #25

Thanks @nick_lawson very useful.

I meant to post something yesterday and it slipped my mind, being a full on day.

I also had an email from Mailchimp re. single opt-in being the default from now on, but it told me that MY lists will be flicking to single opt-in too.

However, it did give a link to say if you wanted any of your lists to remain as double, then just click the checkbox next to each list, hit done, and they’ll all then remain as doubles, not single.

So not a faff really, but given the UK is in the EU (for the moment!) I’m not sure why my email would have been different.

Appreciate the PDF though thanks, will take a look at that. The more info the better! There was no PDF on the email I had from them…

(Nick Lawson) #26

No problem!

(Belinda Booker) #27

Interesting. I wonder why they’re making single opt-in the default? Double is far better for making sure people haven’t used a fake address and keeping your lists clean and useable.

(Richard Heathcote) #28

Exactly - in light of GDPR, double opt-in should be the default, unless people want to revert to single. Seems a bit backwards.

(Richard Heathcote) #29

We’ve started the ball rolling with asking people to re-subscribe to our new list.

Something that is definitely helping is offering a freebie - ergo we, over the past few weeks, have been writing ‘The Brummies Guide To Networking’, a 15 page PDF - so it certainly has some good value (I think!)

We’re yet to do our first email announcing this, which will be tomorrow when I send out the meeting reminder - but already just from people via LinkedIn seeing mentions of it, we’ve already garnered 60 people sign up to the new list which is very encouraging.

So looks like offering a freebie in return for the faff of having to re-subscribe was worth doing!

(Belinda Booker) #30

That’s a really great idea to incentivise them. Extra work on your part creating the ebook, but sounds like it will be well worth it. Will you use it as gated content on your website to garner more sign-ups?

(Richard Heathcote) #31

Yeah certainly encouraging numbers so far.

Absolutely - it’ll only be for new sign ups, and for current ‘old’ list people for when they resubscribe. Hopefully it’ll mean the incentive will be there to be proactive about it to get a freebie!

(Richard Heathcote) #32

OK, so the email has just gone out to our ‘old’ list people, and within minutes, we’ve had around 20 people subscribe to the new list, mainly I would have thought because of the freebie on offer!

20 people and counting, the notifications are still pinging through…

So that proves it, when you’re doing your own new list building, definitely worth offering a freebie as incentive!

(Richard Heathcote) #33

I’ve put a post on the below thread re. yesterday’s webinar with a query, which people following this thread might find useful.

https://www.eventtribe.com/t/online-event-the-impact-of-gdpr-on-marketing-event-professionals-22-nov/3117/6