Seeking contributors to an article on event trends - apply within!

(Belinda Booker) #21

I like that. Can you give me an example of a ‘talking piece cocktail’? How can organisers tie-in their food and drink with the event and make it more experiential?

(Keir DuBois) #22

Belinda, this is a great question! I touched a little on upcoming/continuing event design trends in this post on my company’s blog; it’s for 2017, but each section (colors, fonts, messaging) has a “what’s next?” bit at the end that might work well for 2018. TL;DR would be:

Colors: a continuing glut (until they’re overplayed) of rich colors like purple, scarlet, and deep green with metallic accents (bright copper or gold). When that runs out of steam, we might see an oncoming vibrant palette of vivid colors like cornflower, aquamarine, and magenta, contrasted by somber gradients.

Typography: hand-lettered type hasn’t slowed down yet for display sizes or event collateral, but when it does crash, we expect to see basic, accessible fonts used well (like Open Sans for body copy, say). For headlines, we anticipate niche fonts used ironically, like blackletter or '70s style with clashing color/effects, and all-caps fading in favor of stuff that looks good in lower case.

Messaging: Effective restraint in all aspects of branding/messaging, for brevity, convenience, and maximum comprehension in minimal time. One hashtag at a time. Simpler/subtler logos & identity will leave plenty of space for interactive/crowd-streaming content that’s more heads-up than heads-down (like Twitter walls).

These separate but related trends show attendees will expect interactivity, entertainment, and restorative downtime—a "festivalization of events”—not just a bigger or better bang for their buck.

I hope this helps you!

(Belinda Booker) #23

Ooh great to hear from the perspective of a designer! Simplicity sounds like a good thing, but will it come at the expense of brand recognition?

(Keir DuBois) #24

It may, but I think that depends on how much a brand believes its own recognition is independent from the attendees’ experiences. A brand can try to define itself ad infinitum, but its users/customers/attendees’ perspective (based on their experience with it) is what will truly define it.

In that sense, simplicity in design is so the brand can plant its flag and get out of the way, effectively saying “okay attendee, we’re not going to tell you how to feel about this, because we trust your take to be authentic.” It’s absolutely a risk, but it can pay off with loyalty and/or advocacy.

(Belinda Booker) #25

Yes. I guess you just have to work hard on getting that initial messaging right.

(Rachel Fay) #26

I can work at any size of event, and adapt the work to the number of people in the room.

The way in which I work with attendees depends on the number of people. It’s tailor-made to the specific event.

(Brenna Clarine) #27

Videos, videos, videos. Event videos and live streams amplify the engaging power of events. I like to look at it this way: videos are a way of carrying your event directly to those who could not attend. Event live streams make it possible for you to connect with a much wider audience as well as increase attendance to your event. Event videos are key to promoting an event on social media and other platforms. Videos are the only digital media that approach the level of engagement that an event provides.

That concludes my advice. I find a lot of my statements about event videos to be backed up by my blog’s articles on the topic: https://valoso.com/blog/ But I also think the insane and growing popularity of videos online proves my point.

Headshot: https://en.gravatar.com/brennaclarine#pic-1
Company website: https://valoso.com

P.S., since you mentioned you’re looking for event professionals in different industries, I would like to mention that I am a blogger for Valoso, a company which provides event video production and event marketing services.

(Belinda Booker) #28

Thanks Brenna. I agree livestreaming will be far more commonplace next year. Are there any other new trends in how video is being used in events?

(Brenna Clarine) #29

Well, video extends to all parts of an event—before, during, and after.

• Event video invites - Brands can create short video invites to encourage people to attend their event and invite their friends. These types of invites can be more fun to share than a traditional social media invitation.
  • Event promo videos - By creating a promotional video for an upcoming event, businesses can generate up to 1200% more shares than other promotional media. An event video can work wonders to brand a business.
  • Live feedback - If a brand is creating a new promo video or launch video of some sort, they can present the video at their event then obtain live survey feedback. This will help uncover what their target market does and does not like about the commercial.
  • Product launch - Creating a product launch video is best done by filming a product launch at an event. Capturing a real audience’s reactions to a new product, as well as perhaps a customer demonstration, is a great way to promote a product.

Does this answer your question, Belinda? :slight_smile:

(Belinda Booker) #30

Thanks Brenna - yes and no! I’m just wondering if you know about any innovations in video i.e. new ways videos are being used. I’m trying to identify emerging trends. Creating an event promo video isn’t a new concept, but perhaps people using video as event invites is one - are you seeing increasing amounts of this?

(Melissa Saunders) #31

Sounds like video is a must do then! Do you think organisers will be grabbing a camera from Currys and trying to deliver this themselves or bringing in experts?

(Belinda Booker) #32

Just to let you know, the events trends piece is now live - it’s a really interesting collection of predictions! Thanks to everyone who contributed :blush:

(Melissa Saunders) #33

Great blog & excited for the year ahead!