Should 'fake' event attendees be named and shamed?

(Belinda Booker) #1

http://www.meetpie.com/Modules/NewsModule/newsdetails.aspx?t=Industry-labels-name-and-shame-list-as-unprofessional&newsid=25921 What do people think of this list of event ‘freeloaders’ said to have been compiled by various venues and suppliers? Is it helpful or unprofessional?

(Melissa Saunders) #2

Assuming they’re complete time-wasters then I think they do need to be rooted out. Depending on the event this might take more resources/effort than it’s worth so depends how much of a problem they are. Annoying though if they’re quaffing champagne and taking goody bags. The events industry work so hard - we really don’t need people taking the P!

(Belinda Booker) #3

In my experience, I’ve known of people from one-man-band publications who always seemed to be at every event and wondered about the value those individuals were able to add. But, at the end of the day, I guess it’s up to the organiser to screen attendees’ credentials.

(Allison Pinney Collis) #4

Capacity and scale are key. Ideally, we need to monitor registrations and use the information to effectively build relationships with delegates before events we can often/usually spot ‘freeloaders’ and reduce the impact.

One man bands can be significant influencers. An aspiring blogger who works in a niche market may only have an audience of 250 followers, but they may be the perfect end audience!

I guess it depends upon sector and if they are subject matter experts.

(Belinda Booker) #5

Yes, you’re quite right. Micro audiences are more powerful than ever these days - the landscape is certainly changing in terms of PR and marketing.

(Melissa Saunders) #6

And all the more challenging!