Should mobiles be banned at music events?

A recent survey indicated that 27% of young people would like to see mobile phones banned at gigs because they’re distracting. From a marketing point of view I would like to see loads of posts from the event on social but from a personal point of view I’d ban them from all live performances. The whole point of live events is to experience them live not through a screen. I’ve often been distracted in the theatre by people checking emails, texting, Facebooking etc. (not quite as bad as the guy listening to the cricket on his radio during a play which stopped the show though). Operationally, banning mobiles would give the front of house/security teams another thing to manage. What do our @Music and @Festivals members think?

1 Like

Let’s ban the people holding up iPads to take photos first!

1 Like

Agreed!

What I want to know is how many people who take videos of concerts on their phones actually watch that grainy, poor-sound quality footage again at a later date? Or is it simply to put on social media to show others where they are and what they’re doing? If it’s the latter, perhaps it might be good if social platforms offered a way for people to display their attendance at events and, if they want, put the official live feed on their profile? Then they wouldn’t need to stand there holding their devices up, but could properly enjoy the show instead, while their friends could still express their envy!

1 Like

Maybe including some official images or or artist images you can add yourself into effectively photobombing them. Think you’d need to offer something better than being able to post your own phone photos even if they are poor quality.

yeah I like that. You could do it as geofilters so only people at the event can access them.

1 Like