SPONSORSHIP WEEK: Ask Event Tech Live's Adam Parry anything!

businessdevelopment
sponsorship

(Melissa Saunders) #1

This week we’re focusing on sponsorship and we’re delighted to have @Adam_Parry on board as our special guest to answer questions on this highly challenging area of the business.

Adam is a highly experienced event organiser, technology evangelist and industry expert who is seasoned in securing and working with sponsors. Adam organises Event Tech Live, Europe’s only show dedicated to event technology and The Event Technology Awards a world renowned awards scheme showcasing the best in event technology, both events will take place on the 9th of November in London. He is also the co-founder and editor of www.eventindustrynews.com (EIN); a global online event magazine.

Adam has worked with a host of major brands including D2i Systems, GES, Visit by GES and Poken by GES as event sponsors and is consequently well placed to answer questions on all aspects of sponsorship. Please start posting your questions below and @Adam_Parry will join us later in the week to answer as many as possible.

Whether you want to get Adam’s take on the best approach to finding a sponsor that fits with your event or how to get the most out of your sponsor relationship he’s here to help so - ask away!

@trust_level_0 @trust_level_1

Sponsorship Week
Advice needed for first time organising a fundraising event
Introduce yourself to the EventTribe community!
Top 10 Tips for Getting Event Sponsorship
Introduce yourself to the EventTribe community!
(Melissa Saunders) #2

(Nick Lawson) #3

(Nick Lawson) #4

(Belinda Booker) #5

Right, I’m going to kick this off. I would like to ask whether it’s best to make an approach by email, phone or in person in the first instance. Do you need to woo a sponsor by doing something special to get their attention, like sending them some event merchandise or other novelty?

(Stephanie Rietkerk) #6

Hi Adam,

I am working on a culture night event series for our museum EPIC The Irish Emigration Museum. It will include an EPIC night tour followed by a talk, Q&A, book reading or performance from a special guest noted in the museum…

My job is to find an event sponsor for the series, but as we have not yet kicked off the series and do not have proof of its success. Is it possible to win a sponsor without proof your event series will be a success?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Stephanie Rietkerk

(Adam Parry) #7

Hi Belinda

Great first question.

I think this really depends on the situation, I know one thing for certain with GDPR on the horizon approach via email will become a lot harder but that’s not to say an opt-in subscriber list of interested sponsors shouldn’t be created and maintained. If you have this already, it’s a great way to send details out of new or upcoming sponsorship opportunities almost as a “pre-release” or early bird exclusive.

In person is a good approach but again has to be based on the circumstances. I always look for events and networking opportunities where I know my potential sponsors would be and attend myself, build rapport and then follow up post event.

One area that hasn’t been mentioned here is social media, LinkedIn, for example, is a great tool. I use this in a couple of ways 1) Ask my current happy sponsors to leave me a Recommendation testimonial on my profile this plays into number 2) Identify potential sponsors or current connections that could be sponsors and start a conversation there. LinkedIn messages are rarely ignored and you can curate lists of sponsors for contact later. 3) Content, the platform is great for you to create content on around or about your event, this can be seeded with subtle messaging around available sponsorship opportunities.

(Adam Parry) #8

Absolutely Stephanie

This is just a question of

a) Creating an outline of who your attendees will be whilst being realistic and clear on what the ROI is for the potential sponsor. - This is the pitch.

b) Drawing on examples of other events you have created and delivered of examples of other events in other locations of a similar format in other locations

c) Finding likeminded sponsors, this is an important one and there is actually a great tool by an organisation called Airfinity.

Airfinity analyses your event and identifies the best matching sponsors for you. It’s easy and free. We have used this on Event Tech Live to identify sponsors that we may not have been aware of that have sponsored similar events or events with a demographic that is like ours and also more interestingly what they sponsored (what was of interest to them) which can help you pitch opportunities to them.

(Dewi) #9

How did you get started in event organising?

(Gordana Stevanovic) #10

Is it possible to hold a sponsors event, getting a wide range of industries together that could be potential future sponsors? networking with them in the one room, or is it better, as you organize an event you look for sponsors for that particular event?

(Belinda Booker) #11

Great insight, thanks Adam. I’m interested to hear about your success with LinkedIn - I’ve pitched three people to get involved with an article recently and not heard back from one!

(Brenna Clarine) #12

Adam,

How do you promote an event sponsorship on Twitter? Is Twitter a more practical tool than Facebook or Instagram?

(Stephanie Rietkerk) #13

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the insight - much appreciated. I will be discussing with my team!

Thanks

Stephanie

(Kristina) #14

Hi Adam,

One question I have about the initial stages, is how do you draw the line when to say ‘no’ to a sponsor?
One thing is being flexible in terms of putting together a bespoke sponsorship package. And then there are those that will keep pushing for you to add items thus increasing the sponsorship deliverables budget and losing sponsorship revenue. How do you maintain the flexibility and focus on building a long-term relationship with the sponsor while keeping to wider event objectives and budgets?

(Kristina) #15

Another question I have is about managing the sponsor relationships. When you’re balancing a considerable amount of sponsors, located globally, all with different organisational structure, different time zones, cultures and budgets to spend, how do you maintain a consistent line of communication and timeline pre-event? It’s easy to get distracted by the needs of one to postpone communications with other. The contacts also tend to be quite busy people with a lot on their plate and a catch-up call out of the blue would not necessarily work for all. Are there any practical tips you can share to manage that efficiently?

Thank you!
Kristina

(Nick Lawson) #16

(Nick Lawson) #17

(Richard Heathcote) #18

With our events, we’ve not gone down the sponsorship route as yet, as all our events so far have been free. We’re looking at ways to monetise them down the line, but phasing this in slowly due to not wanting to shock people with fees!
(Just as a reference, we hold 1 networking event per month which is free to members, and always will be - we’re looking to start to monetise some of our additional events, lunch/afternoon/evenings they’ve been so far - these are the types we could be looking to attract sponsorship.)

So yes, was wondering the best way to attract potential sponsors? What are the kinds of things that are best to offer, or highlight, if we found people that would be willing to sponsor some of our events which would end up paying for some food offerings, drink offerings etc?
(As in, the level of promotion we would need to offer them, is offering stats/metrics of their reach etc the norm, or are the obvious types of promo more than adequate - i.e. their branding over the event imagery, mailshot, website, twitter etc, and their banners in the event room etc?)

We have had one person approach us so far offering sponsorship of some sort, but this is in the early stages and we’re yet to meet with him about it. But yes, as a sponsorship virgin, any top tips would be great! Many thanks @Adam_Parry

(Adam Parry) #19

Hi Dewi

Here at www.eventindustrynews.com we wrote quite a lot about how other organisers and managers deliver events before we launched any of our own.

We started with The Event Technology Awards in 2013, which we combined with a day conference.

(Adam Parry) #20

Hi Gordana

Getting a wide range of industries together to try and pitch opportunities to them wouldn’t be very fruitful. Much better, in my opinion. to approach sponsors with a clear message about a specific event and the demographics of the attendee.