Stuffocation

I came across a great book recently, Stuffocation by James Wallman. It’s a great read, and theme that really resonates for event organisers. Over the past 100 years, people have focused mainly on acquiring ‘things’ - material goods - as a way to seek happiness. But there’s plenty of research that shows this is not the case. Stuff clutters up our lives, is bad for the planet, and doesn’t make us happier - but experiences do.

Experiences - in other words live events, whether music festivals, conferences where we learn, or simply social gatherings - make people happier for longer. It’s a very powerful message in a world of social media and online interactions - there’s no substitute for live experiences!

> Rather than a new watch or another pair of shoes, we should invest in shared experiences.

2 Likes

This sounds really interesting. I think it depends on whether you can have life enriching experiences with the things you acquire. For example if you get a house with a swimming pool, you can have great summer parties. If you get a pool table you can have all your friends over for tournaments, or you can even have wonderful solitary experiences by, for example, buying your own horse to ride out. So, while it takes more than possessions to make you happy, I think they can enrich your life.

1 Like

Hi @Marino Thanks for posting. I’ve come across this book before actually and it has come highly recommended. Whilst I’m a self-confessed hoarder and yet to take on board this approach (although I am having a clear out), I do applaud anything that supports the case for live events!