Using ‘influencers’ to promote your events?

(Mark Walker) #1

Hi folks,

Being in marketing, I hear a lot about influencer marketing being a huge deal in 2017. I know events have long used speakers / artists etc. to help spread the word, but has any got experience of running a dedicated influencer marketing campaign for their events? Any tips they could share with the group?
And if you’ve not tried this before, what’s stopping you? Would be great to get a general discussion going around influencer marketing for events.

(Belinda Booker) #2

I too would love to hear real life experiences of organisers using bloggers and vloggers to promote their events - has anyone got any stories to tell?

(Nick Lawson) #3

Likewise would be interested to hear from anyone on how to find the right influencers - do they just use social networks, or influencer marketing platforms like HYPR or Whalar?

(Melissa Saunders) #4

Picking up this thread from earlier in the year as I’ve just come across this interesting piece on eventindustrynews.com about research from experiences agency, Because, which outlines influencer trends and examines the relationship between experience and influence: https://www.eventindustrynews.com/news/brand-marketing/becausexm-research-find-friends-family-influential-influencers-microinfluencer/ There’s also a link to a White Paper.

Also keen to hear from anyone with experience of working with influencers to promote their event.

(Belinda Booker) #5

it seems like common sense to me that you’re more likely to be influenced by a recommendation from someone close to you, than a celebrity that’s getting paid. However, recent research by Attest found that bloggers do have a lot of influence with Millennials. 43% think bloggers are a trustworthy source of information, ahead of brands, journalists, celebrities.

Given the power of word-of-mouth, I really like the feature in Facebook Events that’s shows you events your friends are attending. It’s a great way to discover events you’re likely to be interested in (and know you’ll have someone to talk to if you do go!)

(Dewi) #6

(Belinda Booker) #7

Good article. Installing the moz bar to check out domain authority is a good idea. I did an interview with Philip Brown from influencer marketing agency Come Round, looking at the work they did using 10 influencers to create coverage for the Tomorrowland Festival. Philip said it’s very important to fully investigate an influencer’s true engaged audience as it’s common for people to look more influential than they actually are.

(Dewi) #8

There are also micro influencers, people that are influencial in a certain locality.

(Melissa Saunders) #9

#toptip @Belinda_Booker

(Belinda Booker) #10

Ah I can’t take credit for that one - it was in the socialmediaexaminer article!

(Melissa Saunders) #11

Well thanks for sharing anyway!!

(Rachel Fay) #12

Don’t forget there are new types of influencers coming onto the event scene! I’m often asked by journalists ‘what events have I got coming up?’ or ‘what was your last event?’ All I’m doing is introducing the guests to each other and then the attendees talk about what a difference it makes to their enjoyment of the event and then others want to be at such an event to be introduced to people who are relevant to them, not left standing around with no-one to talk to. That’s excellent promotion.

(Philo newton) #13

I have used influencers and micro influencers for an event I had at the start of 2017and the ROI was beyond expected.
However I have to say that we decided on this approach based on the audience who where millennials intrerested in Luxury lifestyle and who better sells this than instafamous girls?

The influencers attended and took over ower Instagram stories, snapchat as well as posting on theirs also which gained more traction and engagement than previous attempts at conventional marketing. Often they will also attend for free in return of a luxury gift bag I found! This saves us even more money and gets the job done.

I am going to continue with this marketing strategy for our next Luxury lifestyle event for sure.

(Belinda Booker) #14

That’s really interesting. How did you identify and screen your influencers? Did you use an agency?

(Philo newton) #15

We didn’t use one as we felt we had. An idea of whe wanted and approached them directly. I have another event in March where I will use some. Influencers again so will feedback on it.

(Belinda Booker) #16

Yes please do. I think it’s a marketing technique a lot of organisers would be interested to learn more about. I’m surprised you got some of them to do it for free. Were the goody bags filled with items donated by your sponsors/exhibitors? How did you pitch the offer to the influencers to see if they’d do it for free?

(Philo newton) #17

Will do! I think it only worked as we were in partnership with CHANEL who provided the most amazing gift bags. I found that pitching to them what a great opportunity it was for them to create content for the event helped. It was more like we may “want you to attend and cover this event” so we didn’t ask them but more like presented them with the opportunity and they had to convince us why they should have attended ( of course we selected carefully and researched their reach and engagement factor and wanted them to attend already)

I don’t know whether this tactic would work outside the Luxury sector but I shall try one day.

(Belinda Booker) #18

Ooh I like that - good tactic!

(Stavros Kalfas) #19

Hi Rachel I also believe the influencers of the future will be introducers among others! As I understand from your interviews you get paid from event organisers to make introductions at their events. Would you consider a model where you also get paid (monthly subscriptions) by the people that show interest in what you do, so they can follow you at events or venues you attend?

(Matt Loader) #20

Anyone used social network analysis to identify influencers? I’m thinking in particular NodeXL (https://www.smrfoundation.org/nodexl/) or other software packages (I know that Edelman had a package for real-time online network visualisation…).

Thanks,

M