What aspect of your work in events would you like to put in room 101?

productivity
projectmanagement
personaldevelopment

(Melissa Saunders) #1

I love working in events but there are certain parts of the job I really don’t care for - putting together showguides and chasing people for their content is one of my least favourite tasks. I delegate/outsource this if I can or ensure I have plenty of snacks on my desk if not. What would everyone else like to consign to room 101 if you could and how do you have any tips for getting yourself through that part of the job when you have to?

(Abena P) #2

I have to confess, I’m not a huge fan of managing all the social media networks necessary sometimes to promote events. I like getting down and dirty with the logistical details. On the other hand, I quite enjoy putting together conference packs, which most people dislike. And I like weird, diva speaker demands. I like a challenge and they make me laugh :slight_smile:️.

(Nick Lawson) #3

Trying to estimate turn out for free events, particularly smaller ones :angry: There’s obviously things you can do mitigate risks here, but it’s always something that frustrates me

(Melissa Saunders) #4

What kind of things do your speakers demand?

(Melissa Saunders) #5

Does it get any easier?

(Belinda Booker) #6

People who let me down for interviews or promised information at the last minute :rage:

(Abena P) #7

It’s not really on the scale of wanting only blue M&Ms or requests like that, but recently had to bring along a yoga mat so that a speaker could do his daily workout. I didn’t mind, would prefer that he was not stressed out :grin:.

(Melissa Saunders) #8

Just rude!

(Claire Dibben) #9

yea…what weird requests have you had?!

(Dewi) #10

One of the events that I help organise is a large street food food festival and one of the biggest moans we have is local people moaning that £2.50 is too expensive as an entry fee.

So the 1 aspect that I would like to put into room 101 is the local general public that are far too willing to moan and groan about a small entry fee.

(Abena P) #11

I had someone refuse to book online with Eventbrite recently (sorry Eventbrite) because he didn’t own a laptop or want to use a computer. He was trying to reduce his carbon emissions. We agreed that he could pay on the day. In coins :grin:. I may not agree with that particular stance, but I applaud his commitment to reducing his environmental impact!

(Abena P) #12

Send me your Show Guides, I love putting those together :slight_smile:

(Dewi) #13

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1r5eprv0c1ahc1c/cf.pdf?dl=0

(Belinda Booker) #14

Were they tuppenny bits?! :joy:

(Belinda Booker) #15

Sometimes it actually helps if you put the price up - makes people think it’s worth paying for, and keeps the moany skinflints away!

(Abena P) #16

That would have been the icing on the cake!

(Melissa Saunders) #17

Haha! I’ll remember that @muonabena

(Abena P) #18

@DewiEirig This event looks fun! Are you organising it?

(Dewi) #19

I’m on the organising committee. We’re proud to say that we’re one of the largest food, drink and craft fairs in the UK, attracting an estimated 30,000 people every year.

(Belinda Booker) #20

Gosh, 30k over 4 days? What a turn out for a Christmas fair!