What do you do to de-stress/look after your mental health?

(Nick Lawson) #1

Continuing the discussion from 38% of Eventprofs Affected by Mental Health Issues:

What do you all do/what are you best tips for de-stressing, avoiding burning out and staying mentally healthy? For me it’s often just a ten minute walk during the day to clear my mind, but I’m also a big fan of the Headspace app for meditation.

(Belinda Booker) #2

I listen to an audio book as I walk the dogs and let my brain go somewhere else for half hour. It’s my favourite time of day :relieved:

(Melissa Saunders) #3

I work from home mostly and too easily don’t look up from my laptop all day especially close to an event. During working hours I try to take short breaks to put the kettle on, hand some washing out, go and post a letter or for a short walk. Anything that makes me step away just for a few minutes. Some of my best ideas come when I’m not staring at a screen anyway, it’s better for your eyesight to adjust your focus regularly and it helps to stop stress taking hold/becoming overwhelming. In my spare time I perform in amateur theatre productions, sing in a choir (proven to aid mental health) and take dance classes all of which ensure I zone out of work stresses although they do bring their own stresses sometimes! The theatre and choir side is also quite sociable so that helps too!

(Belinda Booker) #4

Agree that the best ideas come when you step away from the screen. I often go horse riding when I’m suffering with writer’s block and always come away inspired.

(Julianne Johnson) #5

Thanks for starting this discussion @nick_lawson :slight_smile:
I’m very lucky that I haven’t suffered any knocks to my mental wellbeing and am very hopeful that this doesn’t change as the 38% threats!
A few years ago I decided to memorise a famous poem to help distract me if/when things in personal and professional life may get tough. Its cheesy, I know, but it has come in handy. I suppose it is a bit like meditating. :pray:
If that doesn’t work… chocolate :yum:

(Belinda Booker) #6

I think my husband has done that too - he’s always quoting the Desiderata at me! It is a great poem though :relaxed:

(Julianne Johnson) #7

That’s a great poem! I wish I’d read it at 16 actually :slight_smile:
The one I sometimes recite is Invictus by William Ernest Henley.

(Melissa Saunders) #8

I also take a moment to prioritise and separate an overwhelming ‘to do’ list into essential stuff and anything else I have time for. The essential stuff is generally defined as things which will sell more tickets, drive more registrations, sell more stand space or is part of a third party agreement. Anything else gets best efforts if and when I get time.

(Belinda Booker) #9

What an inspiring poem. I’ve never heard it before, but love it :heart_eyes:

(Belinda Booker) #10

I’ve just read that EventWell is launching a mental health week for the events industry, kicking off September 18. They say:

As well as taking part in one of the many events lined up for the week, industry professionals can show support online by using the hashtag #endthestigma.

(Melissa Saunders) #11

Thanks for flagging. Great news. Let’s all remember to at least post about it.

(Melissa Saunders) #12

For the fitter ones amongst us there is a boot camp & picnic event in London’s Hyde Park on 19th September: https://eventwell.org/2017/05/17/ilea-bootcamp-picnic-chats/