What do you do when you have one ticket left?

(Ricoh Gill) #1

The team I work in organises our own events and occasionally we also take on group bookings for stage shows, sporting events, etc. - things that people tend to want to attend in groups of two or more. In the past year or so, we’ve often ended up with a solitary ticket for various events left in our inventory, which means we can’t say we’ve sold out, and also we work on pretty thin margins so occasionally it’s the difference between break-even/profit or loss/break-even. Naturally, tends to be difficult to sell one ticket because people generally don’t like going to social events by themselves.

Anyone else run into this problem and how did you get around it?

(Melissa Saunders) #2

I tend to work on exhibitions so it’s generally the more the merrier but in this scenario I would use social media to flag that there was only ticket remaining which is a good news story anyway. I’d also flag it in an email I was sending to all my existing ticket holders. If I couldn’t sell it I’d offer it to a blogger or trusted colleague who could then make some noise on social which may help future campaigns. Also if this happens a lot maybe give people the option to be on a waiting list. They may even know others already attending.

(Belinda Booker) #3

You could personally contact an existing group booking and let them know there was just one ticket left, since they’d be more likely to be able to find an extra person to join the group (you could offer it at a discount as an extra incentive?). Alternatively, as Melissa suggests, gift it to a reviewer in exchange for some coverage.

(Ricoh Gill) #4

Hi Melissa, solid input as always. Will definitely be using social and notifying bloggers/reviewers etc. if SM doesn’t work.

(Ricoh Gill) #5

Hey Belinda, that’s a great idea. Thanks for posting :slight_smile:

(Melissa Saunders) #6

you’re very welcome. Let us know how you get on!

(Nick Lawson) #7

@RicohGill is there any way that you can change the group booking limit to reduce your chances of being left with an odd number/solitary ticket? How many tickets do you typically sell per event?

(Belinda Booker) #8

Hi @RicohGill I’m interested to know if you made any progress with shifting those last, singular tickets? Please share your experience if you found something that worked!

(Ricoh Gill) #9

Hi @Belinda_Booker, thanks for asking! This actually started to become not so much of an issue as we’re only selling tickets to our own events now, which is totally a step in the right direction so far as I’m concerned. Thankfully they’ve all sold out so far, but we’ll see how we get on ¯_(ツ)_/¯

(Melissa Saunders) #10

Sounds like good news! Hope you continue to sell out. What do you put that down to?

(Ricoh Gill) #12

I think it’s the type of event we’re doing now - we took a few risks but seem to have settled on a format/template to use for event delivery that seems to appeal to our attendees. Also means we get to do more impressive events which is great :slight_smile: