What no-show rate do you expect at free events?

(Belinda Booker) #21

Have any of you run free events where attendees did not have to register in advance; they just rocked up on the day? The latter must make it almost impossible to judge numbers!

(Melissa Saunders) #22

Not brave enough for that :grimacing:

(Nick Lawson) #23

@Voicey potential something here ^^ to think about on drop out rate?

(Richard Heathcote) #24

Yeah very true @nick_lawson - Have just been having a google re. SMS marketing services, but until we start making any money from our events it seems a bit unattainable at the moment! Unless I can find a local Birmingham company that might want to sponsor the service for us and offer it free!
But yes in theory I do like the idea of SMS reminders/push notifications in some way.

(Melissa Saunders) #25

hopefully going to try SMS reminders on an event in the next couple of weeks so will report back!

(Claire Dibben) #26

Hi guys!

UPDATE: So, we moved from a free conference to charging £48 full price for a ticket. Drop out rate went from 35% to 9% of people not showing up. A huuuuuuge difference!

Just thought I’d let you know in-case anyone was toying with the idea of charging a fee. Lots of the feedback from delegates was that they viewed the event as being worth the value of the ticket so weren’t disgruntled by suddenly being charged :slight_smile:

(Nick Lawson) #27

Amazing! A bold move that paid off - nice one. And great that you had positive feedback on it too, must be a good conference :slight_smile:

Did you find it harder to sell the tickets when you started charging?

(Melissa Saunders) #28

Discussed this recently with a contact who has years of experience in trade show registrations and he said he would normally expect a 50-60% conversion of pre-registered visitors to attendees for a trade exhibition. Luckily I delivered well within that window but it was nerve-wracking all the way. We continued with social media activity and emails throughout the show which definitely helped.

(Belinda Booker) #29

That’s great Claire. Did you have the same number of delegates as usual? Did you have to “add value” to justify the charge to previous attendees?

(Claire Dibben) #30

In terms of registrants, the numbers were lower byt about 50 people but in terms of attendance on the day - it was about the same! We did add value - had better (and more) food, and giveaways (branded notepads) etc.

(Belinda Booker) #31

That’s really interesting. So it’s been a complete win for you :grinning:. @Voicey have you run a charged-for event yet?

(Richard Heathcote) #32

Yes & no - we did a quiz night a couple of weeks ago, where we did charge £5 p/person, of which the entire amount went to the winning team’s nominated charity. But it was cash on the door, not pre-pay, & not an event where we retained any form of profit etc.
That’s still in the works at some point…

(Belinda Booker) #33

If Claire’s experience is anything to go by, maybe you should take the plunge? Keep us posted!

(Melissa Saunders) #34

Well done on being so brave!!

(Richard Heathcote) #35

will do!

(Claire Dibben) #36

Also wanted to add that the quality of the people we had attend the event (we use it for lead generation and brand awareness) was much better. There were people attending from bigger companies with bigger budgets which is exactly the kind of people we want to be in-front of!

(Belinda Booker) #37

That doesn’t surprise me actually. It’s a good way to sort the wheat from the chaff!

(Nick Lawson) #38

(Allison Pinney Collis) #39

Hi Sarah, What industry/type of events do you run? I’ve used a similar approach. Sometimes it works, others not :S

(Allison Pinney Collis) #40

I’ve managed paid and free events. For paid events, drop-out rates are natural significantly lower but ensuring payment in advance is vital. For free events, depending on the target/location/historical data, I have adopted an add 35% to the target number to work on a 35% drop-out. At the end of the day, if an event is free, it’s tricky as there are no repercussions to the individual if they drop-out. Content is key.

I attended a free event recently. I was pushed for time and ideally would have dropped out, but the topic (GDPR for small businesses) and the speakers (industry leaders) made it a must. It was a packed out!