What's the one thing you would tell yourself about a career in events if you could go back in time?

(Belinda Booker) #1

I’m working with an education company making a series of videos about different professions to help school kids make career choices. One of the things we’re asking the people we’re interviewing is what advice they’d give to themselves when they were younger, before they started out on their career path. What would yours be?

(Melissa Saunders) #2

You never stop learning! Every event and every employer/client gives you learnings so think of each job/contract/project as a stepping stone, sieze opportunities to grow as they come along. No role has to be forever but might develop your skills, experience and contacts which may in turn open new doors. Also, the industry is a small one so don’t burn bridges along the way!

(Belinda Booker) #3

I agree. Even now when I’m working on something that doesn’t light my fire, I just think about the new skills I’m learning and how I might be able to apply them somewhere else later.

(Melissa Saunders) #4

Even the nightmare projects have taught me stuff and I think they make you more resilient and able to cope with other challenges that come your way.