What's your single most effective event promotion tactic?

(Belinda Booker) #1

What one tactic helps you sell the most tickets? Is Facebook advertising your saviour or do you get more bang for your buck on Adwords? Or perhaps old fashioned posters and flying gets results for you? Let us know!

(Melissa Saunders) #2

Hard graft is my short answer! Generally I’ve found it isn’t one thing but a whole raft of things in various combinations/weighting on the event and it’s target audience. Overall digital is one of the first things I recommend to clients and has delivered on everything I’ve used it on but with some trial and error on which channels. Facebook has worked well on some events whilst search and display have left it standing on others. On other events working with third parties and special interest groups have led the way. So far I’ve not found one single fits all tactic but would love to hear from anyone who has!

(Jim Richardson) #3

The returns we see from Facebook aren’t great and seem to get worse every month.

The best route for our events seems to be email, we’re constantly trying to build and refresh our lists.

(Belinda Booker) #4

Is there a ballpark figure that organisers should budget for to cover effective digital marketing?

(Belinda Booker) #5

I’ve seen research carried out among event organisers that shows email is still the leading digital marketing tool. But, of course, it’s reliant on having a database. It’s much harder for organisers of new events to get started.
Why do you think Facebook is becoming more ineffective for you?

(Dewi) #6

Targeted advertising on Facebook works well for me.

(Jim Richardson) #7

Every month they seem to turn the screw more. We’ve got a page with 20,000 fans for our main conference, but if we don’t pay money a post is only seen by a few hundred people.

Yesterday I posted about releasing tickets for our summer 2018 conference and boosted the post by £20. It was only seen by 3000 people and only 36 people clicked through.

Facebook have become too greedy.

(Nick Lawson) #8

Certainly agree with you Jim that FB are reducing the organic reach you can get to your own followers, and aggressively encouraging people to pay to promote.

However from my experience if you can use FB ads effectively it can be really a lucrative channel especially for reaching/converting new audiences.

(Nick Lawson) #9

@Belinda_Booker we actually asked this in the 2017 Pulse report. Here’s the result:

Here’s the full report for those interested:

(Belinda Booker) #10

Ah yes, that’s exactly what I was thinking about! Thank you

(Belinda Booker) #11

I don’t have experience with boosting, only with paid ads. Are you able to select how many fans will see it and pay the appropriate boost fee?
Interestingly, one of my clients has never paid for an ad on Facebook, they have 2,500 followers and their posts typically get a reach of between 500-1500, which seems like a much better percentage than you’re getting. We do get implored by FB daily to actually pay for some advertising!

(Melissa Saunders) #12

I don’t think so - would depend on the event your target audience and how numerous/easy to reach they are. I think paid for social media activity is essential for many events. At a seminar today, someone mentioned that you only get 6% reach organically on Facebook so you’ve really got to put some cash behind it (if it’s the right channel for your event/audience). I’ve reached 19,000 people with £20 before now so it’s not always megabucks (luckily!)

(Belinda Booker) #13

Gosh that’s a great result. I agree it’s essential to put money behind it but, as you say, you don’t have to have a huge budget. When I’ve done campaigns I’ve only spent about a tenner a day. However, I think there is still an art to it. Great post here on maximising reach with paid posts: https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-to-maximize-facebook-reach/

(Melissa Saunders) #14

Love that you can cap spend, monitor it, try different things and move budget around your channels when you can see what is working best.

(Rachel Fay) #15

Hello Everyone, I’m new to EventTribe

I can offer an organiser of brand events or similar the opportunity to be mentioned in the media if you have a party-style event coming up in the run up to Christmas.

This is because I’m getting media enquiries for interviews/tv show appearances following a Daily Mail double-page feature on my service introducing guests to each other at events.

Please contact me via my website rachelfay.co.uk if this might help.

(Belinda Booker) #16

Hi Rachel, I read your feature in The Times - what a great article! I’m intrigued to know how it works, the process you take. Looking at a guest list, I think I might struggle to pinpoint individuals I should be trying to meet, let alone choosing for someone else.

Re. your request, are you looking for an event at which you can deploy your services while being filmed or written about?

(Richard Millington) #17

Mine was email by far. I had built up a list of around 10k names and could reliably get 300 to 400 people to sign up and attend events.

I’d be interested in what everyone else’s conversion rates at though.

(Rachel Fay) #18

Hi Belinda,

There are several possibilities that would result in publicity for the event organiser :

a) an event at which a film crew from one of the tv shows films me in action introducing guests/attendees to each other

b) an event where a journalist attends an event, watches me in action, and then writes about it (i.e. this type of activity resulted in Sathnam Sanghera writing the article in The Times about my service)

c) a mention in the media that I will be introducing guests at an upcoming event

Have you any upcoming events this side of Christmas that would be appropriate?

Rachel

(Belinda Booker) #19

Thanks for the info. I write content for Eventbrite and would love to interview you for that, if you’d be interested? Perhaps you could PM me?

(Melissa Saunders) #20

great! Would love to know how Rachel got into that line of work, who she’s worked with etc.