What's your single most effective event promotion tactic?

(Belinda Booker) #21

That’s a great conversion rate. What type of events were they?

(Belinda Booker) #22

(Belinda Booker) #23

In last year’s Pulse report, event organisers stated that email was their most effective form of marketing. The 2018 Pulse report will be out soon - I wonder if this will have changed?

(Belinda Booker) #24

(Abena P) #25

Email still rules for me!

(Belinda Booker) #26

I’ve just heard that this year’s results show growth in paid media. Is that useful for your events @muonabena ?

(Abena P) #27

We’ve been experimenting this year with different forms of paid media; we’re looking at Google AdWords, social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn), listings and offline marketing using spaces on the SignKick website. Most formats are good for raising awareness but for us, email still reigns supreme. I’m quite worried about having to recreate our mailing list following GDPR. What are you finding?

(Belinda Booker) #28

Signkick is a great site - never heard of it before. Is outdoor advertising affordable?

Re. GDPR, do you mean in terms of people not opting in again and therefore a reduction in the size of your database?

(Abena P) #29

Yes exactly! We run events on all kinds of topics and it’ll be tough to reach everybody again.

(Abena P) #30

Some outdoor advertising is very cost effective. Some…is not :grin:. We’re slowly trying different types but couldn’t say yet which is most effective.

(Melissa Saunders) #31

Any particular area of paid media?

(Belinda Booker) #32

Yes I can see why you’re concerned. I’ve not actually heard much feedback yet from planners who have started rebuilding their lists. Judging from this report, a lot of people haven’t even begun compliance: http://www.meetpie.com/Modules/NewsModule/newsdetails.aspx?t=GDPR-rule-breakers-could-face-fines-of-20-million-Euros&newsid=26743
I also saw this stat, that 34% of Brits plan to use their right to be forgotten, which is worrying for marketers. However, I think if people do not opt in again they are clearly not engaged and therefore it is good way to improve the quality of your list.

(Belinda Booker) #33

I haven’t seen the full report yet @MelissaJane - we’ll have to wait and see!

(Melissa Saunders) #34

Good point Belinda. Quality first!!

(Sachin Bhalla) #35

I might be biased, but I’ve found that a quality, custom designed flyer works wonders for event sales. While web ads are great, they disappear once tabs are switched over to that YouTube video of cats jumping off of cupboards :wink: That said, a web ad that complements a flyer/poster/postcard, as long as it’s original…nothing wrong with that.

The nice thing about flyers is that they’re mini pieces of art that either get posted in visible, high-traffic locations, or they travel around the city (and sometimes further) for several people to see. The right look of a flyer is something that you know is unique. Not “speakers on the edges, champagne glasses in the middle, and confetti over everything”-type designs, but something done by a graphic artist or illustrator.

Free templates are great for your kid’s birthday party…but wouldn’t you want your event to stand out? Promoters are creative, unique types. I feel like that aspect of your event’s personality should shine through your flyer design.

(Dewi) #36

I use the Welsh language alongside English a lot when promoting an event. It creates loyalty with Welsh speakers and makes the event stand out from the crowd.

(Melissa Saunders) #37

Yes agree re good design. In my experience a successful campaign is never down to just one element (though I’m a big fan of digital) it’s understanding your audience (who they are, where they are, what their motivations are etc.) and using a combination of promotional tools to target them. I also think in some circumstances, print can you give you stand out you can no longer get online because we’re bombarded digitally 24/7. A good piece of carefully crafted direct mail dropping through someone’s letterbox can be really impactful now people get less post generally.

(Sachin Bhalla) #38

The direct mail in the letterbox idea is quite interesting, and I agree that it would make a great impression on the receiver. How does one go about getting a targeted snail-mail list nowadays? Everything I’ve found online points to email lists.

(James Shawn) #39

to be honest i wasn’t expecting to see so many great ideas here.
Sachin, in terms of email lists vs letterbox - emails are much more costwise, but indeed, as oyu said, letterbox would make a great impression indeed.

(Sachin Bhalla) #40

In the marketing “blitz” that I’m on right now, my mind has been running all over the place. I’m writing blog posts to send to individual blogs, and then the internet (as it does so often) reads my mind and sent me a new (old) idea.

I’m not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread, but my quick scan of the answers didn’t turn up anything: Targeted Press Releases, depending on your budget, could be very effective. I’m sure experienced event promoters already have a solid network built up, but for around $250 (even less if you keep it local) there are a bunch of sites that will send info about your event to blogs, newspapers, and trade magazines.

As a journalist in my former life, I can’t believe the idea didn’t come to me automatically!