When do you put your tickets on sale?

eventplannning
ticketing

(Melissa Saunders) #1

When do you put your event tickets on sale? Do you work with a set number of weeks out from the event? The nearest pay day? At or immediately after the last event?

Our blog on when people book tickets suggests that nearly half of people who attend free events only book the day before or on the day whilst for paid for events, the higher the ticket price the more likely they are to book well in advance. I suspect there will be an element of scarcity in there but what’s your experience and when do you go on sale?

(Jake Wagler) #2

I believe it is good to have your tickets available when you start to promote the event. Of course for me that means after you have secured your space and appearance personal.

(Waithaka Saq) #3

Having organized an event that had to be rescheduled,I have shared with my team suggestion of having the advance ticket sale run for 2 months prior to the event date…This however has to be coupled with promotions in order to drive the sales and to encourage early bird booking …I could be wrong but my view

(Mark) #4

The team that I lead, we always establish set timelines depending on the type of event we are planning.For corporate events that have a higher ticket price we start the sale early with early bird ticketing and special pricing for stakeholders related to the event.

If we are planning a festival or a social event.In my experience ticket sales are influenced by the general mood and hype that is related to the event.Therefore we invest in strategic marketing weeks before the event and our secret weapon is to craft a marketing pitch that has a fear of missing out (FOMO) overtone.

However an ideal scenario for any event professional is to have a sold out event days or hours to their event.

(Melissa Saunders) #5

Yes, that certainly helps Jake. Otherwise you’re just asking people to remember or to sign up for something rather going straight to the buying point whilst you’re front of mind. On average, how far out from your events do you go on sale?

(Melissa Saunders) #6

It’s so frustrating when the goalposts get moved like that. How many months out have you been on sale in the past?

(Belinda Booker) #7

Further to this, I wonder if there are any negative aspects to putting your tickets on sale early?

(Melissa Saunders) #8

I suppose if you go too early there’s no sense of urgency. It may also mean you need more resource to prolong the campaign.

(Belinda Booker) #9

One thing you can benefit from if you go super early is getting into event calendars published in Jan. When I was putting together the events for eventprofs calendar, some of the events that appeared last year had not set dates for 2018 yet or not confirmed that they event would be taking place again, so you’re not able to publicise them. Having said that, I guess you can still set the date for an event without putting the tickets on sale.

(Timothy Bryant) #10

This a great question. Thank you! Right now we’ve been working with 4 weeks out. Not sure if its right but the few we’ve done have had good responses in the 3-4 week time frame. We’re still a bit new at this so we’ll see what happens. I also like the FOMO approach that Mark mentioned as well.

(Melissa Saunders) #11

Hi Timothy, yes FOMO can be very important. What kind of events are you involved with?

(Waithaka Saq) #12

It did cost me time & resource (frustrating yes) but due to the turbulent times our nation was going through (political influenced) There was no other option but to reschedule.

This time there is hope all ll go as planned & well.

Regards

(Melissa Saunders) #13

Fingers crossed! Hope all goes well.

(Belinda Booker) #14

Looks like 2 months is about the average but I guess the optimum time frame must vary according to type and size of event. For example, a big conference probably needs longer than a karaoke night… depends how much hype already exists around your event. I know Brighton SEO sells out in hours.

(Melissa Saunders) #15

I think for consumer exhibitions it can be a bit longer - perhaps 4-5 months out but with the campaign really ramping up in the last 2-3 months.

(Belinda Booker) #17

I wondered the same thing myself @promotrader. This is what Melissa said: