Would you serve tap water at your events?

(Belinda Booker) #1

Tap water is better for the environment (and your budget) but does serving it reflect badly on the host company?

(Melissa Saunders) #2

Good question! I’m not normally involved in these decisions but I would say it depends on the event, the audience, how the water is presented and the venue. I personally wouldn’t be offended to be served tap water. If the audience were particularly affluent or were senior professionals or it was in a plush venue I’d probably go with bottled but tap water presented in nice glass jugs or bottles I think is very acceptable. Anything we can do as an industry to reduce our use of plastic has to be a winner!

(Marino Fresch) #3

I agree! Filtered tap water, using a commercial filtering system, could be a good compromise - environmentally more friendly, but alleviating any concerns people may have around tap water. I know a number of festivals, for example, have moved away from bottled water and towards (filtered) tap water, as a way to reduce environmental impact and waste. Shambala, Bonnaroo and End of the Road festival are 3 examples.

(Melissa Saunders) #4

Thanks Marino. Good to hear and let’s hope other event organisers follow these festivals’ lead!

(Abena P) #5

I always do! Filtered and served in a nice jug or bottle. I have never been questioned on it or had anyone react negatively.

(Belinda Booker) #6

I agree filtered is a great alternative to bottled. I’ve seen venues present water really nicely in Kilner-style dispensers, flavoured with real lemon or cucumber, which actually makes it more of a novelty than bottles of mineral water.

(Louisa Douglas) #7

If it’s a big banquet we always go with tap water, the main lead for this decision is cost and I don’t think the price outways the impact… the environmental implications are a happy coinidence.

(Melissa Saunders) #8

Do we think the tide is turning then and tap/filtered water is the way forward for the industry?

(Phil Vintin) #9

In Sheffield people would think you were showing off if you had bottled water. Tap’ll do fine.

(Charlotte Noble) #10

Interesting question! We have never personally served tap water when we have hosted events in our hub. We use bottles of water and put out plastic cups. I agree that it is obviously better for the environment, however, how happy are people going to be knowing they’re drinking tap water. The effect on the host company could be that you come off quite cheap that there is no bottled water around and had to use a tap, but what people don’t know, won’t harm them.

(Belinda Booker) #11

Maybe putting filtered water into attractive glass bottles would be more acceptable than tap water in jugs?

(Charlotte Noble) #12

Good idea. Will try that next time we host