OpenSpace | Unconference | other formats

Hi All

I’ve recently run a conference for 600+ where we introduced some new formats from open & closed fishbowls to silent disco lightning talks.

Keen to hear of any other ‘new’ creative formats!

1 Like

How about 2 or more speakers in a room speaking at the same time. People can wear silent disco headphones to listen to the speaker of their choice.

Fun concept! although would be disconcerting as a speaker maybe not knowing who was actually listening to you…

1 Like

1 in each side of the room.

Interesting idea. Is it not a little off putting for the speakers to be speaking over one another? I guess it needs to be a big room?

I like this idea of posing questions to speakers in a quiz style, as seen at SXSW

1 Like

Just read about this format being run at PCMA Convening Leaders in Jan:
‘Braindates’ also returns in 2018. These one-on-one or small group learning experiences enable delegates to share knowledge with each other. They will be able to make offers and requests for knowledge on topics of interest.

2 Likes

Hi Dewi,

I did this recently with lightning talks delivered via silent disco - four speakers simultaneously :slight_smile:

Alli

1 Like

Hi Nick,

We found the speakers felt a stronger engagement with the audience. It focused the speakers who were more aware of delegates response through body language which gained an intimate connection. From a delegate perspective, they enjoyed bite-size pieces of information which open up collaboration opportunities

Alli

1 Like

Did the speakers find it difficult when they spoke at the same time?

Some did, others didn’t.

Lessons learnt

1. The room space is critical for multiple presentations. A room which is too cavernous can heighten noise interference etc
  2. The speakers ideally need to wear headsets too - but sound blockers rather than the same set of the delegates.
  3. Embrace the full silent disco experience, ie no clapping etc. We encouraged ‘silent clapping’!
1 Like

Ha ha, I’d love to see some video footage. I love the idea that if you get bored you can just tune into another speaker and they’ll be none the wiser!

This thread inspired me to do a bit of research into different session formats - I found 20 of them. Can you add any more to the list??

2 Likes

I recently interviewed a colleague who draws on ideas from the Art of Hosting a lot in his work. Some really interesting ideas. Video & transcript here:

1 Like