What does "business casual" mean to you?

I’m attending an event where the dress code is business casual but I’m not sure exactly what this means. Can I wear a summer dress and flat sandals? It must be even worse for men! How do you interpret this?

2 Likes

For me, smart jeans, dark tea shirt, dark cotton business jacket, brogues.

2 Likes

Good question. I’d probably wear a casual dress & flattish shoes or trousers & a blouse. Think men can get away with s shirt/tshirt, smart jeans & a jacket. If I did chance smart jeans they’d probably not be blue denim & I’d maybe wear heels with them to dress them up a bit.

1 Like

I’d agree with Melissa although it depends on the industry sector. Blue Jeans would be considered normal for bizcas(!) in the tech industry and creative.

1 Like

The jeans things is the interesting one. As you say, @APC in some industries this is completely fine, but not acceptable others - it’s a veritable mine field out there! I guess it just depends on how smart all the other parts of the outfit are, if you will get away with it.

1 Like

I’ve had this conversation with so many people over the years and more recently with students. The biggest contention always seems to be shoes! A gentleman in jeans, with a t-shirt, jacket/blazer or smart shirt or shirt and jumper, can rock it both ways. Throw in a pair of trainer types shoes, and it throws the balance’! Ladies, just tricky if not more! Peep-show shoes? Sandles? Converse? Espadrilles, Flipflops so many factors to consider but shoes will kill or make the outfit, smart, casual, street whatever!!

1 Like

:high_heel:Lucky I have over 100 pairs of shoes then!! Knew it wasn’t just an addiction :sandal::boot: :athletic_shoe::mans_shoe:

You’re right about the shoes @APC It still makes me giggle when I see elegantly dressed businesswomen in trainers for their commute.
@MelissaJane I like your thinking… I think the same also applies for bags, no? :grinning:

1 Like

:handbag::purse:Yes definitely bags and jewellery! :pouch: :briefcase::school_satchel: Also now wondering whether I should get formal and casual specs :joy:
p.s. that’s probably me in the trainers… just can’t run around London in heels any more!

1 Like

lol yes my style has adapted to include converse with dresses when running around!

2 Likes

Business dress and trainers is the standard look for commuters now! I feel out of place on the odd occasion when I wear my ‘proper’ shoes!

2 Likes

How have people been coping staying smart with the recent weather? Is it ok to bend the rules when it’s so hot - are clients/managers understanding?